PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old to get into this industry?

mickd101
21-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi all.

I've recently turned 28. I've been trying to get into this industry for nearly a year. Up until recently I was volunteering for an air con company 2 days a week to gain the evidence for my NVQ (college day release) but unfortunately the week recently dried up (skills card needed for most jobs, work was too far from home, etc.) I was working for the company for around 5 months, but without the work experience I cannot get the NVQ, so I've had to withdraw from the college course...

I've been applying nationally, but nothing.

Has anyone out there entered this industry at this age? Or has the boat sailed and am I chasing a lost cause??

Micky

brian_chapin
21-02-2011, 12:06 PM
The age isn't a problem for Industrial refrigeration in the US - no idea about HVAC or any other locations.

taz24
21-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Hi Micky.

The short answer is no! You are not too old!

But it is hard at the moment.

You are in a clasic experience - qualification catch 22
Without one you can't get the other and
Without one you can't get the other!

Which college did you attend/
Have you spoken to any tutors they may know companies localy?

Stick with the company you were working with and
ask them to contact you if any local job comes up
big or small because the experience is critical.

You have done what is needed you just need to find
the right company.

Visit Refrigeration wholesalers and see if there
is owt on the notice board and get a notice up
yourself.

All the best

taz

mickd101
21-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Cheers for the input.

I was in Northumberland college, its a shame aswell as I think it was only one of 2 colleges in the country that offer free adult apprenticeships in this trade, so I didn't have to put any funding up. I asked about on the course for other employment opportunities (including my tutor) but no joy.

I could try the wholesalers approach. Thanks again.

taz24
21-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Cheers for the input.

I was in Northumberland college, its a shame aswell as I think it was only one of 2 colleges in the country that offer free adult apprenticeships in this trade, so I didn't have to put any funding up. I asked about on the course for other employment opportunities (including my tutor) but no joy.

I could try the wholesalers approach. Thanks again.

Hi ya mate.

Was the tutor Peter Mc???

Financialy you arn't out of money??

You must continue and do the Tech Cert exam 6127.

That will prove your knowledge and you need it for your NVQ.

All the best

taz

chemi-cool
21-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I have started my business when I was older than you.
No fear, the sky is the limit

Robert Hilton
21-02-2011, 05:50 PM
I started when I was 28 so no, you're not too old. Keep on plugging, I'm sure you'll get there.

mickd101
21-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi ya mate.

Was the tutor Peter Mc???

Financialy you arn't out of money??

You must continue and do the Tech Cert exam 6127.

That will prove your knowledge and you need it for your NVQ.

All the best

taz

Ha, is their anyone P. Mcternan doesn't know in this industry?

Ye he was my tutor, I take it your in the northeast then Taz?

I'm not enrolled on the course anymore, but I know without the work experience I wouldn't of been able to continue with the tech cert anyway. The tech cert was just part of the NVQ umbrella, and the course was a work-based learning course. I left the college in December so I may be able to re-join if I was to find an employer quickly.

"Financially you aren't out of cash"..You referring to the fact I was volunteering?? I work continental shifts in a manufacturing plant, 7 days out of 12, so I have time for other things in between, thats were the training for ACR came in.

I have a couple of assessments coming up for air con vacancies in the midlands, but they are through training providers (basically government funded agencies looking to train the youth of today) But they will likely go with someone 24 or under. As far as the governments concerned in this country, once your over the age of 24, your on your own!

Tayters
21-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I changed to AC at the tender age of 31.

Was it the fact the the training was free that you had to give it up? I ask because the NVQ is made up of the Technical Certificate and The portfolio of work. Therefore you can still do the Tech Cert and hand in the portfolio at a later date. From what my experience was, the portfolio didn't prove much anyway. Knowledge is power!

Have you tried Space Engineering? A baptisim of fire in Tesco's will teach you a thing or two!

Good Luck,

Andy.

CHAMBERD
23-02-2011, 05:33 AM
mick ...
don't let your youth (28 is still young) limit you on what you want to do. I'm 41 and losing an established career in semiconductor equipment maintenance due to outsourcing. I'm gonna enter this field (refrigeration). That is my CHOICE. It may take some time but don't kick your own @$$. Pick up a book and keep on keeping on. Knowledge is the one thing that can't be taken from you. You gotta pick a path and get to it no matter what... best of luck.

taz24
23-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Ha, is their anyone P. Mcternan doesn't know in this industry?

Ye he was my tutor, I take it your in the northeast then Taz?

Hi Mate.

No I'm from Yorkshire but know Pete from the college.

I'm not enrolled on the course anymore, but I know without the work experience I wouldn't of been able to continue with the tech cert anyway. The tech cert was just part of the NVQ umbrella, and the course was a work-based learning course. I left the college in December so I may be able to re-join if I was to find an employer quickly.

Maybe you have been told that and that is a condition of the colleges enrolement
but the theory can be done seperatly from the NVQ.

The theory (6127 ) is needed to prove knowledge and then you do the NVQ ( 6087 ).
They can be done seperatley or together but the tech cert must be claimed before the NVQ.

"Financially you aren't out of cash"..You referring to the fact I was volunteering?? I work continental shifts in a manufacturing plant, 7 days out of 12, so I have time for other things in between, thats were the training for ACR came in.

No sorry, I meant if the course was free you are not out of pocket.
You will have to put the work experience down to experience :)

I have a couple of assessments coming up for air con vacancies in the midlands, but they are through training providers (basically government funded agencies looking to train the youth of today) But they will likely go with someone 24 or under. As far as the governments concerned in this country, once your over the age of 24, your on your own!

All the best

taz