PDA

View Full Version : good installers/subbies

rbartlett
08-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi guy's

was speaking to a guy who is account manager for a large a/c company and he reckoned that subbies rates have fell quite considerably as he now has a couple of good guy's @ 250 per day for the pair..

anyone else seeing this ??

Oh and on that note anyone know of a good installer in the Hampshire Berkshire area looking for a job??

cheers

richard

Argus
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
he reckoned that subbies rates have fell quite considerably as he now has a couple of good guy's @ 250 per day for the pair..

Do they come with their own work permits, or do you have to sort that out for them?

Oh and on that note anyone know of a good installer in the Hampshire Berkshire area looking for a job??

.....They must have emigrated....

If I had another couple of quid for every time I get asked if I knew a good subbie I'd retire now.!!!!
________
SVT Contour (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_SVT_Contour)

rbartlett
08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
well, as we are a company of almost all foreigners (not I though) I personally would welcome them with open arms ;-)

cheers

richard

Jase
10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
The thing with subbies is that you always have to sort out their crap.It infuriates me:mad:
All they care about is fitting the equipment as quickly as they can, not caring if it works or no.
Easy money hey?:rolleyes:

Jase

eggs
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
If you only pay a subbie £250 a day, you will get crap.
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Some companies look upon subbies as cheap disposable labour. If you treat your subbies like this, you will get no loyalty or no high quality installations.

If on the other hand, you plan the jobs properly, ie arrange half legible drawings, order kit to arrive on site nearly on time, consider wether an access tower will be needed etc...etc...

Then ask your subbies to give YOU prices. You will get quality installations, everyone makes a butty, every one is happy.

Nothing infuriates subbies more than "can you just blahh blahh blahh, it will HAVE to be on DAYWORK as i haven't had time to look at it properly."

cheers

eggs

rbartlett
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I can't agree

What is happening is that the amount of subbies has grown quite significantly during the past few years . However due to the sheer amount of work around their price was high -riding the gravy train
Tthis has led to rather a lot of subbies (esp the ENGLISH ONES) who feel they are worth 'xxx' but in reality their work is poor and their commitment is less.

We are now in a position where there are a lot of subbies around and the work is slowing down

This is a simular situation of brickies back in the eighties where they were on a couple of grand a week -and not bothering to turn up most of the time . It was 'loadsamoney' times

By the nineties they were back to scrabbling for work on £300 a week and no work during winter.... 'buggerallmoneyme'

Supply and demand -we are coming round to a buyers market (like housing) and those with the work (cash) will be able to re-address prices to suit

Every week now we get agencies phoning us offering everything the trade needs whereby a year ago you had to phone them..

We'll see how the trade looks next spring after a long winter ;-)

Cheers

Richard

chilly
10-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I've used afew subbies, When I first started I was amazed at how many subies there are, but I was horified when i found out what was happening on site when i wasnt there, cut afew joints open and ended up pulling the pipes back out and redoing it. I dont install to get call backs. I now use one pair of subies only and evan then i keep a close oeye on them, I install most work personaly, and i dont hire myself out as an instalation subbie anymore because i will not compeat with monkeys working for penute, Id rather go broke.

Untill a governing body legaly enforced (like corgie) regulates the industry and police it, peole who are anygood wuill always be under cut and end up going back to work for big companies who will end up with monopolies. Personaly the only sub contract work I do these days is service, That sorts the men from the boys:) and i ern alot more than on install.

rbartlett
11-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Lol, Richard, £250.00 a day is too expensive. You might be considering subies but when we come to vote for it in the office I will vote against !!

Reading what I actually wrote may prove to be far more productive

Cheers

Richard

Abe
11-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Instead of a " Day Rate" consider an Installation price
So then it doesnt matter if the subby takes a day or three days..........He gets same amount.

And, put in penalty clauses relating to quality of work.
So, a final assessor would have to test and pass the work.

In my experience, never work on a day rate.

frank
12-09-2005, 09:43 PM
The thing with subbies is that you always have to sort out their crap.It infuriates me:mad:
All they care about is fitting the equipment as quickly as they can, not caring if it works or no.
Easy money hey?:rolleyes:

Jase
Hear hear :) (sp?)

chilly
12-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Instead of a " Day Rate" consider an Installation price
So then it doesnt matter if the subby takes a day or three days..........He gets same amount.

And, put in penalty clauses relating to quality of work.
So, a final assessor would have to test and pass the work.

In my experience, never work on a day rate.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I wouldnt have any problem with this as long as the price is reasonable. It would eliminate the rubish and leave room for the quality installers.