PDA

View Full Version : the use of rubber hose/ not copper pipe.

still learning
18-02-2011, 08:40 PM
have been asked to look at some dakin units that were piped with rubber hose , aparently its used in auto air conditioning in cars (trucks). i have not seen the installation yet, as i wantedto find out more about , this rubber hose. was so i am told by others was great , ect ect.
and have got wind of one other job where it was used , being ripped out and replaced with traditional copper pipe and lagging.
has anyone come accross this rubber pipe?
how does it perform?
what is it called?
i would like to add it is not like a short annaconda.
any help would be great, cheers .

Brian_UK
18-02-2011, 08:45 PM
I have seen it used when fitted to temporary type steel container offices/workshops.

The condensing unit was mounted on the end wall which had the personnel door in it. As the whole end wall could be opened to allow for large items to be moved in and out they used rubber hoses at the hinge point.

Couple of points I suppose, a hose is more likely to leak especially now that pressures can be higher with the newer gases.

Also the cost may make copper the cheaper option.

stufus
18-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I used this stuff a number of years ago on a close control retro fit due to having to fish the pipe work through a wall cavity .It's basically hydraulic hose, can't remember the name of it though and have not used it since.It got me out of a hole back then and never got a call back,mmmm don't know if that's a good or a bad thing . Performance wise I had no issues with it .At the time it was a means to an end..
Cheers
Stu
EDIT; I do remember i got it from a company that fitted out icecream vans , so maybe the transport lads will have more info on it.

Peter_1
18-02-2011, 08:48 PM
And hoses can dissipate oxygen and chemical make water inside your system

charlie patt
18-02-2011, 10:21 PM
used rubber on various items mainly on transport it has a purpose but on commercial i personally would avoid, the rubber hose is not compatable with some refrigerants and the fittings mainly the manulie hoses leak a bit /leak a lot with fan speed control and pull moisture in on th suction side.also they have cut the quality of the rubber in recent years and its proveing aproblem,the commercial systems we did sea fitted with it sweated like hell but that was on 22 if it was on 410 i would stand back and sea how the pipe expands before it goes bang

Makeit go Right
19-02-2011, 03:23 PM
We have used it as flex connections on a condenser. Rated for R410a but the bore of the tube is not standard sizes -- just the inserts that go in either end of the tube. The inserts slide inside end of tube, a plastic guide-thing slides on outside of tube-end, and two clips fit into the guide. Then you tighten the clips with a special ratchet-plyers, set for the corret tightness, and there you go. Treat as a flare connection.

There are probably other places that do it but to see some pics:
a) Inserts/tube etc:
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/conditioning-hose-pipe-premade-conditioning-flexible-pipe-hose-c-91_157.html

b) Ratchet handtool/pliers:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MHAL1GYou can buy the tube as one length and cut with a stanley knife (ends need to be square).

Very simple to make the ends off, providing you use the ratchet tool. If getting by with regular pliers and "that seems tight enough," you can get leaks.

stufus
19-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I just remembered it was called Stratoflex.
Similar to this.
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.7100150cebe5bbc2d6806710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=f5c9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=5853272&vgnextcat=AIR%20CONDITIONING%20HOSE&Wtky=HOSE
Cheers
Stu

B G Scott
19-02-2011, 05:30 PM
We have used FlexiFast from Air Care Products in St Austell.
I don't think they have a web site but they are very helpful and the product whilst quite expensive reduces the installation time.
Their telephone number is 01726 61119

still learning
19-02-2011, 06:03 PM
thanks for your help here.
if i have anything to do , with the replacement of the one which has gone bang.
it will be a re pipe in copper , and was explaining to the owner of the units it would be prudent to check the charge on the other two, before they go pop.
i find peters reply alarming, regarding moisture.
good thing is i can show these posts to the customer, in his office and he can read it for himself.
thank you all for you valued input

Paul84
26-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I imagine you'd void your manufacturer warranty as it wouldn't meet plumbing compliance. Bit of a difference between automotive R134A (which is a separate licence) and domestic R410A. Can't really compare R22 as new units should have been phased out months ago.

Just a thought...:)

stufus
26-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I imagine you'd void your manufacturer warranty as it wouldn't meet plumbing compliance.

Just a thought...:)
As has been mentioned before be careful who you're calling plumbers around these parts,generally not taken very well .:(
Plumbers is a taboo word around here.:D
Cheers
Stu

still learning
26-02-2011, 10:00 PM
that would'nt be instant air con engineer plumbers would it?:rolleyes:

judasfan
27-02-2011, 12:47 PM
We used rubber hoses on some temporary split installations - for instance on site when we used single split to warm or cool the premises we worked on - but those splits were on R22, so when this gas was phased-out we changed the splits wit newer ones on R410a. When I went to make new hoses, the company which made them for us told me that the hoses could not withstand the pressure on the new refrigerant!

Gideon Beddows
28-02-2011, 12:37 PM
My Dad (an installer) had to use rubber hoze on an R410a system in a loft space that couldnt have naked flames for brazing.
It was expensive but there were no issues apart from it had to be ordered as a set length, the spare just coiled up before connection , but as it was in a loft - it didnt matter that it looked poor?

About three years ago....no call backs or issues as i am aware

Paul84
01-03-2011, 05:28 AM
As has been mentioned before be careful who you're calling plumbers around these parts,generally not taken very well .:(
Plumbers is a taboo word around here.:D
Cheers
Stu

I hear ya stufus. But in Victoria (AUST) atleast all refrigeration/air conditioning installs have to meet plumbing compliance with certificate even though we're frigeys/plumbers/sparkies. So no disrespect to either trades.

Paul84
01-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Probably should mention I am a Refrigeration Mechanic not a 2 week night course 'engineer'

stufus
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Probably should mention I am a Refrigeration Mechanic not a 2 week night course 'engineer'
No worries Paul !
Only Kidding ! Well sort of.:D
Cheers
Stu

Magoo
02-03-2011, 03:44 AM
Rubber hoses, that is a very broad statement. Every refrigerant needs different requirements. The internal pipe bore is critical.

aircon50
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
For flexible hoses try Aeroquip from the Eaton Corporation. They are NOT 'rubber' but polyamide lined.
No problem with 'high pressure' refrigerants. R404a is now quite common in transport refrigeration, including direct drive applications where the use of flexible hoses is the 'norm'. There is a list of compatible refrigerants, but I would recommend contacting a wholesaler/ distributor before using a non-listed refrigerant.
Moisture ingression is rated at 0.13gm/sq cm/year! Hardly enough to worry about.
Hope this helps

chillyhamster
03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Try this from HRP,

Nylon tube, single textile braid reinforcement and synthetic rubber cover.

Suitable for use with R12, 22, 502, 134a and 404A.
Temp range, -40 'C to 121'C
MAx operating pressure, 350psi
Min burst pressure, 1750psi

Buy by the length and fit end fittings.