PDA

View Full Version : Help: Small liquid chiller based on outdoor refrigeration condensing unit

Ricardo Pimenta
16-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Good day,

I will need help from someone with any knowledge from small liquid chillers based on outdoor refrigeration condensing units.

I would like to apologise because I don’t know almost nothing about refrigeration condensing units and I need some help to select the type of condensing unit that I will need to install based on the scenario I have.

Initially I have thought in use a conventional split Air Conditioning outdoor condensing unit, because I have talked to some people that are using them to the same type of application for more then ten years without any problems, I also think that this will cost me less, will be more silent and powerful that a refrigeration condensing unit, but the problem is that all the units I have found today have electronic connection between indoor and outdoor units that can’t be installed without it and in this case I do not have indoor unit but some typical refrigeration thermostat.

This leads me to consider the installation of a refrigeration condensing unit, but I don’t know anything about them and when I was checking some catalogues from two or tree different brands I only see units with different evaporation and condensing values and I do not know anything about those two values and what should I look for to ask for some prices.

I think that if there is someone around that could help, at least will need to know the exact scenario where I intended to do the installation.

I will try to describe below all the details that can be relevant and if there is anything else needed please ask me and I will describe.

What I intended to maintain under a stable temperature of 24.0 ºC, it is an aquarium installed at my living room that has a total volume of 550L, there is already installed at the tank a titanium coil connected with cooper tube of ¼” and 3/8” that is extended 12 meters to the outdoor location where the condensing unit should be installed.

This aquarium has 550w of lighting and a few pumps to feed the filters and move all that water, those elements are the main reason to the excessive temperature in the summer months.

In the summer if I don’t do anything the temperature will go up until the 30.0 ºC or even more, if I have the air conditioning of the living room switch on the temperature of the aquarium will always be more two to three degrees that the living room temperature.

The coil already installed is one of those heat pump coils under a PVC shell that is rated to 1HP and has 8 meters of ½” titanium, but I think that I will not need a compressor with all that power.

I do not know if it helps but I have done some tests using a air conditioning condenser of 12000btu’s that I have for free, but I think that is to powerful to this water volume because it reduces the aquarium temperature in 1 ºC only in 10 minutes with all the lights on, but I think that is to fast because when the lights are turn off this will be even faster.

I have a friend that works essentially with home Air Conditioning and will install me the unit, but we don’t know how to pickup the correct condenser for this type of application.

I do not know if this is the correct place to open this thread, but if it is not I would ask to an administrator to change the thread no another forum.

Thank you

Ricardo Pimenta

Brian_UK
16-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Have you thought about changing the lighting to LEDs ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuNyhB6AMJQ

Ricardo Pimenta
17-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Have you thought about changing the lighting to LEDs ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuNyhB6AMJQ

Dear Brian_UK,

I have bought a few months ago a new illumination of 10 x 54w T5, that substitute my previous Metal Halide Lighting.

I know some people that already test led light under their aquariums and I think that it is not the best choice.

A new revelation under aquarium light that could be the future is the Plasma Arc and I already know some people who are testing it but at this moment is price is too high for me.

About this chiller project I have here could you give me some help with it ?

Thank you

Ricardo Pimenta

Brian_UK
17-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I know that others have, in the past, used the chiller to cool a tank of water and then use that chilled water to circulate around the aquarium as against having the refrigerant passing through tank pipework.

Ricardo Pimenta
18-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I know that others have, in the past, used the chiller to cool a tank of water and then use that chilled water to circulate around the aquarium as against having the refrigerant passing through tank pipework.

Dear Brian_UK,

I think the system you are describing have been used in the past, now in commercial system like the one I intended to install, the water from the tank is directly chilled using a titanium coil that is connected to the cooper that comes from the compressor and this titanium coil (evaporator) has direct contact with the water.

This is a system commonly used too cool lobster tanks for example, I think that certainly someone around here know those systems or have heard something about it.

This system has been adopted to chill the water of our aquarium like it has been used under those lobster tanks.

I attach a picture of my titanium evaporator to you have an idea of what I’m talking about:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1294/serpentina34.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/i/serpentina34.jpg/)

I have been reading some articles and eventually I think that the compressor that should be used under an application like this one should be a “high back pressure”, could anyone give me some other tips?

Thank you

Ricardo Pimenta

Brian_UK
18-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Did that evaporator come with any 'duty' details? It must have been designed against some figures.

If you have those then you can size your compressor.

Ricardo Pimenta
19-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Did that evaporator come with any 'duty' details? It must have been designed against some figures.

If you have those then you can size your compressor.

Dear Brian_UK,

What do you mean with duty details?

Like I told previously this is rated has 1HP evaporator, is this what you mean by duty or what should I ask to the manufacturer that could be relevant?

I only want to know what should I ask for in a refrigeration store if I want to buy a condensing unit to install at home connected to this coil.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thank you

Ricardo Pimenta