PDA

View Full Version : PROA Oil Addative

Steve Wright
07-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Has anybody seen any valid testing on oil addatives that reduce energy. All I've seen to date is inconclusive.

US Iceman
07-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi Steve,

I have not seen any long term testing on oil additives. I have seen some claims from people selling this stuff.

The results are always very rosy, works so well that everyone will be quickly using it, etc., etc.

I would not touch any of this stuff with a 10 foot pole (to paraphrase an old adage from the black plague days).

Short term effects might be promising, but the long term effects are not known. Elastomer, and other material compatibility problems may occur. Effects on desiccants in driers, insulation breakdown of hermetic or semi-hermetic motors. Dialectric compatibility?

My view on any additives is; If it is not supplied by the original manufacturer, don't use it.

There used to be a popular term for stuff like this. I think it was called snake oil.:mad:

My opinion only.

I would not recommend any additives to anyone. Equipment gets expensive when the customer asks you to replace it because the stuff did not work.

Regards,
US Iceman

Johnny Rod
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Agree with the Iceman, lube companies spend a lot of time and effort with additives, and if they have (or as in fridge oil, commonly haven't) put something in then it's not like adding sugar to tea. Also additives are generally there for reliability-type issues such as antioxidants, sludge mobilisers (detergents) etc., even anti-wear agents don't make a big difference to the electricity bill. Probably best to leave well alone! Unless of course you come across one that reduces compression ratio, or motor current, or evaporator fouling, or turns base metals into gold....

Steve Wright
08-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks US Ice & J Rod

We did a test on a low temp R-22 Rack and saw virtually no change in performance, we had some sophistcaced data logging on board and corrolated KW consumtion with OAT, also looked at run times and lots of other stuff.

result; no appreciable savings.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't goof up some where.

Steve