PDA

View Full Version : More top tips.

slingblade
11-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Having recently been to the Throne, i was flicking through one of the "Take a moment to sit on the toilet" magazines my other half wastes money on every week. In the money saving top tips section was this little gem.

" Having a cup of tea for one? Use a travel kettle... SAVES ENERGY. "

Whoever she/he was that sent it in, was paid £30 for the gesture.

Correct me if i am wrong, but surely a fixed volume of water ( one cup full ) at a given kitchen tap temperature, will require the same BTU input to boil it regardless of the size of heating element applied.

We are all in the wrong job, just send uneducated ideas to Female oriented magazines and watch the cash roll in.:D

mad fridgie
11-02-2011, 01:45 AM
What sort of refrigeration engineer are you? You should know the refrigeration fraternity rules by now! If it is not a technical manual, bank account statement or a stick magazine, we do not read them, especially while having some private time. Come on keep your end up, when did you loose your hard taught devient tendencies, or is it the doing of too much AC, softens the sole? You could of blamed it on the wife for reading the article, you have no shame!

Down to the article,
you are correct about about the mass of water, but a travel kettle has less mass (being smaller) so less energy required here, also less surface area, so thermal losses are reduced during the heating period.
How ever, i would suggest there was more energy used making, transporting, packaging the bloody travel kettle, than the energy saved, by not using a normal kettle, after a dozen brews, the travel kettle will be rooted, because they are crap.

For those who do not have a sense of humour, top section is a joke.

mikeref
11-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Maybe this travel kettle is some new improved click onto exhaust manifold, heat xchanger with a wind driven turbine powering a water pump in a closed hot water circuit.....thingy.. Then again, in a womens mag, not likely. The alternator is around 98% efficient compared to a coal fired power station of ? so boiling water while driving would produce less co2. Is this going anywhere?

Tesla
11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
I often think about these scenarios whilst in the throne room too. When I go on holidays now I buy a travel jug and make my own tea at 1/10th the price to buy one. They are faster and more efficient cause they can only boil two cups. I just made a cuppa with a standard kettle and measured the left over water = 3 extra cups (I should be more careful). I can usually get 3 -4 dozen cups before the travel jug self destructs - the last one was an amazing explosion from the inductive element which I paid the price of a cup of coffee in Syria. Yes I also have a car plugin job but haven't used it.
I know we fridgies are meant for bigger and better savings like saving 10s of thousands of dollars on building energy costs and even the little fridge systems.