PDA

View Full Version : Rwb 134 b

Terron
09-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a liquid injection cooled booster that is foaming oil excessively in the oil separator. Has any one experienced this using Shell Clavis 68 refrigeration oil (for R717)?

serviceman
09-02-2011, 09:15 PM
that have oil heat what is the injection of liquid setpoint? TXV or easycool is?

josef
10-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Terron, much liquid refrigerant, replace the valve TX. Can damage the compressor.

Terron
10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi guys, I understand over feeding will damage the compressor. I do not think its the TX valve, I recently drained the compressor's oil to replace the bottom sight glass. When I pumped the oil back in the unit I found I was a little low (just under 3/4 of a sight glass). Long story short I purchased Shell Clavis 68 oil. Added, and its foamed excessively ever since, not to mention cutting out on low oil pressure.

josef
10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
What kind of oil you used before?

NoNickName
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
You have to use shell clavus SG 68, which is specially formulated for R717.

Terron
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I have no clue what was used before my time, I have been here 5 yrs. and never had to add any oil to the unit before. I have herd from various contractors that Shell Clavis 68 is known for foaming, especially on liquid injections. I also checked the specs. and the oil i purchased was rated for R717. I was just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with certain types of oils.

CanadianIce
10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I may be misunderstanding your post but it sounds like you added the shell oil to whatever you were using before. Each oil company uses its own additive package. When you mix these different oils, the results can be anything from excessive foaming to the oil turning to gel. Always check compatability of oils before mixing.

C Ice

sikeston34m
13-02-2011, 03:51 PM
If you are at your rope's end on the liquid injection setup, here's a thought for you.

We were experiencing strange harmonics or what some call "rotor rattle" coming from our Booster during low winter time load.

There is a Hansen Valve above your filter package. Ours has a yellow cap.

This is the oil injection throttling valve. If you will notice, this is also the one that the manufacturer warns, if not throttled fully open upon installation, it will void your warranty.

One the compressor is installed, this valve is supposed to be throttled back.

So, as per Frick recommendations, we throttled ours back and the compressor smoothed out like I had never seen. It also has more capacity now, since more room is available in the screws to compress vapor.

I can't tell you what your machine is supposed to be set at, but this had a big impact on foaming also.

When this valve is fully open, it must be quickly circulating and turning over the oil. Leaving NH3, little time to come out.

Just a thought and maybe something to check.

I hope this helps.

Terron
15-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Problem solved, It was the oil....it seems Shell Clavis 68 is no good for oil injections. I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond.