PDA

View Full Version : Split unit on low temperatures

MilosBog
06-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi all,
what is the lowest air temperature for inverter split units? I would like to install it for my parents farm for small room in which cheese will be cooled. I don't need a very low temperature, cca up to 15 degrees. The outdoor unit will be in good shade and the load is quite low, maybe 1 kW or something. For humidity i don't have an idea, maybe i will make something for humidification, don't really know.Just tell me what is the lowest safe operational temperature for the split unit.
BR

charlie patt
06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
certain companies do a low temp invertor heat pump down to 12dc

MilosBog
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Room temperature or supply air (on exit of evaporator). I wasn't clear for the temperature, the room temperature needed is cca 15 degrees so return air in the evaporator needs to be cca 12. What did you ment?

monkey spanners
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Would be better with a cold room style evaporator, cheese room stuff often gets moldy very quickly and is very damp, i suspect the circuit boards will not cope with the humidity.
Another thing is the fumes the cheeses give off will attack copper and aluminium so at the very least the evap will need spraying with some anti corrosion coating.

If cost was not an issue then a stainless steel evap would be the way to go.

Jon :)

charlie patt
06-02-2011, 06:47 PM
take room to 12dc

MilosBog
06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Money is the biggest problem because my parents don't want to invest to much because it is hobby.They are making some kind of cheese which needs to "rest" sometime after is eaten in 5 minutes. What do you say to use an ducted indoor unit and to have a also an exhaust fan which will work in corelation with one humidistat?So when humidity reach certain value the fan will start to blow ?

monkey spanners
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
If they are not making much, would a second hand fridge be big enough?

I have a couple of small cheese makers that use fosters/williams style two door chillers for their low volume ranges.

Gary
06-02-2011, 07:59 PM
A friend has a small cutting room at his farm for occasional butchering. We cut a hole in the wall and installed a cheap window shaker. He keeps it set at the lowest setting (~55F/13C). The humidity is probably a little lower than ideal, but otherwise it works fine.

Seems I recall somebody had an electronic stat that solved these problems.

MilosBog
06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys,
i was "sinking" about the freezers but i couldn't find any for a reasonable price. They are living in Serbia and that is a place where peace of rubbish costs as a hell. They will make a cheese because in certain period of year it is impossible to sell the milk to the Dairy (one company has a monopoly) and therefore they will have in certain period of year a big amount of milk which will be "transformed" into the cheese. Therefore they will have a relatively big amount of cheese but only during this period. That is the reason for a money saving.
@Gary, that is the thing that i want to make.Simply and cheap. I thought of using a fan only for removing a moist air at the beggining of the process and later on to dehumidify (if needed) with a indoor split

Gary
06-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Here's the thread where I saw the electronic thermostat device:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28407&highlight=window+unit

This device:

http://www.storeitcold.com/install.php

MilosBog
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Like usuall.....Solution in matter of days.....Thanks guys, it is appreciated

Gary
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I notice they have a site in Sweden, too. A lot closer to Serbia.

http://www.coolbot.se/

Let us know how it all works out.

MilosBog
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
And relatively often i fly to Sweden so i think that this is a perfect solution :) thanks once again