PDA

View Full Version : Candy fridge compartment warm, but freezer working OK

kcr
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a Candy fridge freezer (around 12 years old). The freezer compartment is working fine (-20 deg C), but the fridge compartment will not cool down (generally sitting between 5-10 deg C, with the thermostat setting above the door set at "5").

I originally found that the evaporator was badly iced up, so I removed the freezer back panel and fully defrosted the unit over a couple of days. However, even after doing this, I had the same problem.

From reading about similar problems, I understand that cold air from the freezer is ducted around the fridge compartment to cool it. I wondered if there is a problem with the cold air not being circulated correctly (e.g. blocked ducting) but I can't work out how the air is routed from the freezer to the fridge unit. When I removed the freezer internal panel, I could not see any obvious route for cold air to be ducted around the fridge compartment. The
freezer fan is working correctly.

Can anyone suggest what the cause of this problem might be, and if I do have an air circulation problem, where should I be looking for a blockage, please?
Thanks

shiftykat74
06-02-2011, 01:03 AM
hi mate, i don't know the brand that you have but if it is iced up in the freezer compartment you won't get any air circulation through to the fridge compartment but the freezer will still work. it sounds like there is a defrost problem causing the freezer evaporator to ice up. could be a defrost timer or a defrost heater fault. would be rare for the duct between the two compartments to be blocked unless there is ice build up. hope this helps.

kcr
08-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. The freezer was iced up, but I fully defrosted it. I suspect that cold air is not ducting properly to the fridge, but I can't see where the ducting routes out of the freezer compartment and into the fridge compartment. The freezer fan seems to sit in a sealed compartment behind a panel at the back of the freezer, and I can't work out where the air should be entering the fridge. Is it through the light fitting?

shiftykat74
09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
generally the air is ducted through the top corner of the fridge compartment wherever the temperature adjustment is, on the back of the temperature dial there is probably a shut off which as you turn it warmer it closes the duct and colder opens etc. also is the fan running? if not you wont get air to the fridge compartment. as i said very rare for duct blockage. cheers