PDA

View Full Version : Effects of oversizing condenser

ygulzar
01-02-2011, 03:32 AM
Application: Walk-in Coolers to maintain 35F. Units will be used to train refrigeration students.

Maximum room size: 71" x 71" x 84"
Compressor: MUST be semi-hermatic (since it is for training)
---------------------------------------------------------
The smallest semi-hermatic compressor being manufactured by Copeland and Bitzer is 1HP. This is too large for the room size and the compressor is expected to short cycle.

Is there a way around this? The constants here are the room size, semi-hermatic and to maintain temperature.

If we oversize the compressor for the room, what are the drawbacks? Remember that the unit is to be used for training purposes.

Thanks.
Yasir

Magoo
01-02-2011, 05:20 AM
That size enclosure is an oversized coffin, the 1 HP compressor will cycle on low load real quick.
See if a can manufacturer will supply an accessable hermetic compressor.
They did years ago for small recovery units. They had a vee band around the normally welded joint on compressor can

Aik
01-02-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't understand: the thread is "Effects of oversizing condenser" but post is about oversizing compressor.
Nevertheless, if you use oversizing compressor, than evaporating temperature would decrease and if compressor is oversizing enough than it will stoped by low pressure control.
In your case, it depends what evaporator and condenser you use and what evaporating temperature you need.
In some cases you may use:
1) evaporating pressure regulator such as KVP (Danfoss)
2) crankcase pressure regulator such as KVL (Danfoss).
It both cases there are energy loss...
As regurds me, I prefer install hermetic compressor essential capacity :)

charlie n
01-02-2011, 07:06 AM
It's for training, don't add a bunch of control valves to confuse the students. Better to add a fan & grill on opposite walls and add warm room air to the refrigerated room to balance the load. Use a variable speed fan and you can vary the load to teach the effect of oversize and undersize systems, reduced loads etc.