PDA

View Full Version : Engineers love nicknames!

Grizzly
31-01-2011, 08:33 PM
OK so many on this forum use some form of nickname.
A lot are related to Christian or surnames.
Mine is no exception.
But anyone who works with navy or marine types will tel you they wrote the book!
I once played a game with a group of Royal navy Engineers. Where they covered up their nametags on their chests and then told me their navy nickname.
I was supposed to guess what their real surnames were.

Several stick in my memory to this day.
Like Spanish = Main.
Or the huge coulored lad grinning away proclaiming "Me name July" = Andrews.
But the best and I have yet to hear a better one.
Is the lad whose nickname is Senna (as in Ayrton)
When he revealed his name -Corners.
?? Because Ayrton can't take corners! Was the reply.
They really are a strange lot these Navy types!

Grizzly (= Adams for those who wondered.)

eggs
31-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Eggs = I have no idea :confused: it was the first thing that came to mind when I joined this forum.

My real name is Steve

Cheers

Eggs:p

superswill
31-01-2011, 09:28 PM
superswill

swill was given to me on an 18-30's holiday many many moons ago

Surname: Williams - Will - Swill

Swill because i attracted pigs

not very PC but it stuck with the footy lads i was with.

superswill
31-01-2011, 09:30 PM
one of the best i heard on site was:

THE VICAR

only works Sundays (double time)

charlie patt
31-01-2011, 09:36 PM
where ive worked before .sicknote. when he got a crap job he went sick and was of for the number of days the job took. also we had .lock up. ie everything was charged as a liquid with speed usually with a return call to fit a comp

lawrence1
31-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I remember a couple of apprentices.
Suitcase,,,,,,,you had to carry him everywhere.
Candle,,,,,not very bright.

lawrence1
31-01-2011, 09:46 PM
oh , I forgot .
Crayfish,,,,,all the meat in his ar..e and a head full of sh,,t

Tayters
31-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Very tenuious link for an old workmate was 'Cor blimey on the 45'

Named after the song by Cornershop - Brim Full of Asha On the 45.

Real name Ashley.

Linked to Brim full of Ashley on the 45 for those none the wiser.

A tech called Jon now called Jonny Laristo. Named after a cross between the Karate Kid and his darts prowess.

Another tech called Mike now called Mickey 2 Shoes - apparently a character from Scarface.

C. Malone now just Baloney due to suspect illnesses on Mondays and Fridays.

In my garage days a bloke who came to mend the ramps was refered to as Spindleprick. Not sure on the history there...

Tayters.
AKA Andy, Gengis, Angus, Flanders

Tayters
31-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Forgot Craig Chippendale renamed Chippytarka, after the young buddhist priest from Monkey called Tripitaka.

Monkey and Battle of the Planets, part of golden age of kids TV.

Magoo
01-02-2011, 02:06 AM
magoo, thick glasses and mumble alot. From cartoon character.

lawrence1
01-02-2011, 03:43 AM
magoo you've done it again.

Fri3Oil System
01-02-2011, 08:54 AM
I used to belong to a Spanish traditional Universitary music group. Each University here normally has one or several of this music bands, belonging to their faculties, Medicine, Engineering, Sciences,..etc. We used to play Spanish and Latin America old folklore, this should be a deep thread itself.
Anyway, we also had to have a nickname, that your vetherans would choose for you. We had brilliant ones, but Grizzly reminded me about one of the best, and maybe most cruel.
There was a guy called McCloud(The Highlanders). He survived a car crash when he was in a trip some components of his group, after a concert.
BTW, mine was "carrot" (approx. translation) since it's not very normal to be redhaired in Spain. Not very special, but useful when flirting with girls :D

Regards,

Nando.

jonjon
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
i usually get called lurch !well been 6 foot 5 dont help i suppose

monkey spanners
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Last company i worked for had an apprentice known as Useless, which seemed a bit harsh but acurate.

Another engineer was known as 'Nice but', after Harry Enfields Tim nice but dim character.

Rob got christened 'Super Lob' by a chinese customer and the name stuck.

There were three Johns there too at one time so i was known as 'Little john' as i was the youngest. Though i suspect the bosses wife used to call me swampy as i got accused of looking a bit like a new age traveler.....

Jon :)

glenn1340
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
one of the best i heard on site was:

THE VICAR

only works Sundays (double time)

or THE BLISTER, he only appears when the hard work`s done

monkey spanners
01-02-2011, 07:34 PM
or THE BLISTER, he only appears when the hard work`s done

Hahaha, i like that one!

Grizzly
01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I used to work with a colleague who we all called Touch Wood.
As in it will be alright - Touch Wood!

Nowadays he is known by his Christian name coz it no longer applies to his work. (He is still a friend and is on the forum).
Grizzly

eggs
01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I was chatting about this thread today to my trusted sidekick and he reminded me of my nicknames from back in our labour only subbie days:

"Stevie go Slow" was my name when we were on day-work. My god could I could drag a job out.

If however we were on a price for an install and I thought it was $hite, my name was "Stevie no Brackets". Nothing was off limits for my cable ties.:eek:

I suppose that is why I attract the quality of subbie that I now do. Somebody, somewhere is paying me back.

Eggs

mad fridgie
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Mad fridgie, do not know why i have been called this, and neither do I!
When I first to moved to Christchurch (wife was living elswhere), I had nothing to do apart from work, so i would get an enquiry, work at night, ringing Europe and so on, by the morning the client would have an answer. got called
"Super Pom"
When the wife moved down, she but a kibosh on the night work.
Clients were not to happy that service had returned to normal. got called
"F****** Useless Pom"

Greengrocer
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Greengrocer. Given to me by a mate back in my apprentice days. Also used it as a "handle" back in the days of CB radio (remember that craze - rubber duck & all that).
However, there's no way I'm going to elaborate on this name as I would probably get censored ny the mods. All I will say it had something to do with fruit ;)

Also have a mate who's known as "Spider". He used to make a habbit of climbing up the outside of hotel balconies in search of women on our lads holidays to Spain, Greece etc. Don't ask! He's even got a spider tatoo on his arse :eek:What was he thinking?
Ahh those were the days young free and single.

thebigcheese
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
i know an engineer who gets terminator he'l be back

cadwaladr
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
one customer called me ;rhino; [thick skinned and charged a lot!!!]

CHIEF DELPAC
04-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I have a beard so I became known as wiskers. A pal whose last name was Good was known as No Good. Another was the unmade bed for his slovenly dress. Stonie whose hobby was drugs both legal and illegal. Phil known as flip or flipper. The crow from his last name.Mr. Ball Known as ballsey.My 6ft 8inch partner high pockets. C.D.

Deano240
05-02-2011, 11:37 PM
my names dean i get called flicky bean

stufus
06-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I had an apprentice about 12 years ago who we christened sniffer.It came about one lunch break when he piped up and said "do you guys ever sniff your girlfriends knickers ? you know the ones in the wash basket ! I do ". He almost got let off due to being 16 but alas it stuck to this day.
Cheers
Stu

mikeref
06-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Interesting subject Grizzly. Haven't heard from NNN yet. Off topic slightly for this one.. A sales rep for security systems called a local tech about night-time premesis security, and his reply was, I use a BFD mobile. It's fast, accurate, and cheap. The rep then said he had not heard of such a system to which the tech replied, BFD stands for Big Fu**ing Dog.

Grizzly
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
:DPriceless Mikeref!
Grizzly

dannycool
10-02-2011, 10:37 AM
A couple of good ones i've heard are:
Steve the Lean = Self explanitory really, Steve could always be found in the workshop or on roofs leaning against stuff, with a pile of cigarette butts building up around him.

Miami = Lad from school called who looked like his head had been in a vice. School kids can be so cruel!

FREDY FLARE NUT
10-02-2011, 10:48 AM
my real name is larry but people my engineer name is fredy flare nut!

eggs ! Brilliant !

Tayters
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Worked with a bloke called Luke. Everyone called him Barry because although claiming a keen interest in motorbikes, he had no clue who Barry Sheene was.

Andy.

Grizzly
10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Working with guys from Portsmouth today, they refered to a guy from the Isle of White as a "Cork Head"??
Obviously of a naval origin.
Grizzly

adamacrinstall
13-03-2011, 05:51 PM
i got a nickmane yrs and yrs ago as rentboy and its still stuck with me.

Magoo
14-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Numb nuts is my favourate, describes weed experts, as in once had a brain and balls "Hey Man" get cool man, crap. I keep firing them and ask for medical clearaces, second time they don't come back.
Totally sad statement on society these days, so many people hiding away with drugs.

grumpy magoo

TRASH101
14-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know if I like mine as Trash implies I break things or talk rubbish or worse. I suppose its better than some of the more profane abuse I get ;)

paul_h
14-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Worked with a bloke called Luke. Everyone called him Barry because although claiming a keen interest in motorbikes, he had no clue who Barry Sheene was.

Andy.
Now you've made me feel sad :(

stufus
14-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I used to work with a guy who moonlighted as a bouncer at nightclubs.He was christened Mono after having his ear bitten of while trying to eject a few pikeys
Cheers
Stu

Quality
14-03-2011, 07:55 PM
We once name a lad Oneway, long story short is during the Isle of man TT races the mountain road is made into a one way road so that folk can enjoy riding the road. However if your not familiar with the track/road its easy to stray of the track onto normal roads as Oneway did this he met two way traffic. He was not injured but very very close

bishtmaster
07-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I wanted to share a view. I was amusingly called by the name "Mental" because I can go for any stupid act whatever my friends ask me to do. That was really very funny but after coming into the professional life i have really changed my attitude. Those were the best days and missing my engineering life very badly.

Refrigeration Repair (http://www.carltonservices.co.uk/service/refrigeration/refrigeration-repair-service/)

Hairfaircon
08-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Good story.

supermarketguy
08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
When i was at Rea Bott, we had a guy called Yogi Bear, due to the fact that he always thought he was smarter than the average one. :D

Grizzly
08-04-2011, 06:22 PM
When i was at Rea Bott, we had a guy called Yogi Bear, due to the fact that he always thought he was smarter than the average one. :D

Now that I like. Do you mind if I steal that one.
I know a few that I could use that one on.
Cheers Grizzly

monkey spanners
08-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Been working on a farm in Wales today and am now known as 'Jon the fridge'

With all this talk of bears, i've just remembered a guy who worked at the co op who we used to call Fozzy because he looked and sounded like Fozzy bear from the muppets, who used to be involved in organising all the shop refits :)

Jon :D

supermarketguy
08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
There used to be an electrician at Cbes, who used to be called fozzy, but this one had a panchant for becks beer.

Freezer-Geezer
24-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I was branded with the nick name Chunks, as I joined the army. My first ever section commander said I looked like a Pioneer. I said "no Im a petroleum operator!" He would have it and so called me Chunks. After finding out about the great story of WWII. When the Pioneers had run out of ammo. So they where using anything they could find to fight and relying upon the air drop for resupply of munitions/amunition. When it came it landed just behind enemy lines. So they sent out a troop of men to retreive it, most of the troop got wasted but a few good men made it back with the supplies. When they opened it they found it was full of tins of Pineapple chunks!! SO hence all pioneers being called Chunks and me getting branded with nickname cos I looked like one lol!

Baz

spimps
24-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Andy.
Was always called Gazz when young, now just BG.
When Barry Sheen was in his prime we had a local lad called Barry Shinn who delighted in winding up the local police after being stopped for speeding on his motorbike when asked to give his name he pronounced the i as e, police always fell for it apparentley.

Freezer-Geezer
24-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Was always called Gazz when young, now just BG.
When Barry Sheen was in his prime we had a local lad called Barry Shinn who delighted in winding up the local police after being stopped for speeding on his motorbike when asked to give his name he pronounced the i as e, police always fell for it apparentley.

Slighty off topic: I was actually named after Barry Sheen.

Baz :)