PDA

View Full Version : 3D software

Lc_shi
30-08-2005, 03:56 AM
dear all,
pls recommend one 3D CAD software you think it's easy and powerful. I used AUTOCAD 2005,but it's difficult to draw 3d drawing. Looking forward to your suggestions.

regards
LC:)

Peter_1
30-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Without no doubt, Autodesk Inventor but the approach is complete different.
It's specially made for 3D and all the dimensions are dynamically.
You draw direct in 3D i another way you're use to do with Autocad and the 2 D drawings are generated automatically.
You first sketch your drawing and afterwards you give the dimensions. If you change a measure, all the rest is changed +/- automatically and if not, you receive a fault report.

SolidEdge is working with the same idea: sketching, so as Pro Engineer.
I prefer Inventor

botrous
30-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I use autocad 2006 for 3D and i find it easy , maybe because it has been a long time that i use it . . . but at the university we were trained to use a software called solid works , it's kinda more easier than autocad , we used it to design mechanical parts , i think it's great for non autocad admirors

Peter_1
30-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I said Solid Edge but meant SolidWorks.

You definitely have to look once at the Autodesk and other Inventor related sites to find out how powerfull this new package is.
The approach is complete different, somethinm ore like Mechanical Desktop from Autodesk.

We have some clients in the construction business: vans, mechanical construction, even a stock quoted company (New Holland +/- 1500 peoples in their plant in my backyard), fire-brigade cars and they all switched to Inventor.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BLL/is_1_22/ai_n11836212#continue

Vincent Yu
30-08-2005, 03:17 PM
There are several 3D CAD software packages. If you do not have much experience about 3D modeling, I suggest you to use SolidWorks. It is very suitable for beginners. The commands are very straightforward. Little training is needed. It is powerful enough to do general 3D modeling. Another one is Pro E. I think it is very powerful. But it is a little bit inconvenient to use it. You must always stay online. The license will be checked online regularly.

US Iceman
30-08-2005, 07:02 PM
A manufacturer I used to work for used Pro Engineer for machine design for compressors. They really liked the parametric methods used in the program for updating drawings and dimensioning with geometric tolerancing.

They also used a program for stress analysis of the machine parts, and some CFD (computational fluid dynamics) programs. I do not remember the name of this program, but it was complex, similar to Pro E.

One of our vendors used SolidWorks. They started with the AutoCAD programs and went to SolidWorks as it seemed to be much easier to use at the time. This was about 6 years ago, but the AutoCAD programs may be much better now.

I do not have first hand knowledge of the programs or the extent of their capabilities. I am only aware of what the experts selected to work with.

botrous
31-08-2005, 03:20 PM
OK Peter , what you are saying about the software is great , i will see if it exsists at the institute where i teach and try it , maybe if it's good enough and easy i'll switch .as i get discounts on softwares buying it will not be a problem , that's the good thing of beiing a teacher here :)

Lc_shi
01-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi dear all
Thanks for all of your valuable comment.Now I got a slidedge v15 trial reversion on my pc. try it first and go to others if necessary.

Vincent,
Do you use 3D for your design work? I want to know some about your work environment for my boss want to purchase some good software for product development efficiency,hope to listen some comment from u.

regards
LC

abbasi
07-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi

Try using PROE WILDFIRE latest version its good but we have found it difficult as bending done in PROE deviated from actual case but it is very good software for assembly drawings n any other drawing u may then export file to ANSYS software and do its stress vibration thermal analysis

Regards

Abbasi