PDA

View Full Version : Using the fridge motor to trigger another electrical device

Harry Audus
25-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I would like to use an extractor fan to create or augment a cool updraft behind a fridge. The fridge is a Smeg SR-640. I would like the fridge motor to trigger the fan, so they both run (i.e. turn on and off) at the same time. I'm told the fan should be connected to the compressor, but I'm unsure how the connection should be made, or if there's a better way. Advice would be welcome, please.

Jimuew
25-01-2011, 04:37 PM
On the electrical terminal block where the three core cable (live, neutral and earth) comes into the appliance, look for a four core cable/flex. These four cores (live, neutral, earth and common, are the electrical supply feeding up to both the thermostat and other components within the fridge.
Basically the live feed goes to the thermostatelectrical switch and then returns to the common terminal on the compressor overload/cutout device. This common terminal is only live when the thermostat switch is in a closed circuit (on) posistion. So just add the live wire of the fan into this circuit in a safe manner and both the compressor and fan will run together and stop running together.

stufus
25-01-2011, 04:47 PM
You could just switch the fan via a thermostat and let it cycle independently of the compressor.At a set temperature
If the manufacturer thought the condenser required a fan they would have fit one .I think
But then again i don't do domestics;)
Cheers
Stu