PDA

View Full Version : recycle

jakehabing
25-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi, I want to use my appion G5 twin recovery unit to recycle my r22. What do I need to do this. I have two recovery tanks. Thanks.

Brian_UK
25-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Oil separator, good filter/driers would be a good start.

jakehabing
26-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Brian.

monkey spanners
26-01-2011, 12:46 AM
We had a Van Steenburgh machine which basically had just what Brian said for cleaning up recovered refrigerant, it would circulate the refrigerant for some time to give the drier a chance to clean it up and to remove the oil.
It also had a purge function to remove any non condesables which would be worth checking for in any recovered refrigerant you intend using again.

old gas bottle
27-01-2011, 04:28 PM
never been a fan of re-using gas unless its out of the same system it came out off,you can transport trouble to another customer.i think its better to surrender it and buy it back when it has been cleaned and tested propely.:)

chemi-cool
27-01-2011, 08:05 PM
I use quit a lot of recovered refrigerants, always mix it with new one.
I have a friend that breaks down factories, he cut to small pieces everything made of metal including AC units and chillers, If I have the time, i come with 60kg bottles and recover all the refrigerant from the units just before they turn into small bits.

Saves a lot of money. [Increase profits too:D]

Fri3Oil System
28-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi,

When you recover a gas, it comes mixed with the oils (and maybe acids) from the circuit.

if you recycle properly a gas, it can be reused with all warranty in the same installation(if you clean also properly the circuits) or another one.

You only need to get rid of oils that are mixed with the refrigerant(and acids that could be mixed with the oils), which are basically the toxic waste. You can achieve this with a simple distillation of the gas, not using filters, since these oils are mixed with the refrigerant.

Regards,

Nando.

jakehabing
28-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Nando,

How do I do a simple distillation of the gas?

Jake

Fri3Oil System
28-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Nando,

How do I do a simple distillation of the gas?

Jake

Just use the correct recovery+recycling unit. There are different models in the market. :)

Regards,

Nando.

old gas bottle
28-01-2011, 08:44 PM
and they cost lots of money too if there any good.:p

Quality
28-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Also none of the available units can give you what you want guaranteed

Fri3Oil System
28-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Also none of the available units can give you what you want guaranteed

Sorry Quality,

could you explain it for a Spaniard like me? :)

Do you have any experience with such recycling units?

Regards,

Nando.

Quality
29-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry Quality,

could you explain it for a Spaniard like me? :)

Do you have any experience with such recycling units?

Regards,

Nando.

What I meant was you have no real way of testing (other than acid & moisture) of what you have recycled is actually good enough for reuse especially if its a blend such as R407C etc. You need the use or services of a gas chromatograph to be certain

Yes I have had quite a lot of recycling experience in the past.;)

cheers

Fri3Oil System
29-01-2011, 10:04 AM
What I meant was you have no real way of testing (other than acid & moisture) of what you have recycled is actually good enough for reuse especially if its a blend such as R407C etc. You need the use or services of a gas chromatograph to be certain

Yes I have had quite a lot of recycling experience in the past.;)

cheers

I think it has nothing to do. One thing is recycling a contaminated gas, and another is a gas that has lost its mixture, like in the case of R407C by a leak.

Nowadays you have other ways to check if the mix of R407C has been decomponed. There are gas analyzers that can do that job for you in 30secs. And this is not a cromatograph study, but a tool anyone can have in his van.

don't know what you mean by the past, but in the present days, there are good recyclers that save a lot of money to those who use them. :)

Regards,

Nando.

Quality
29-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Not in my opinion but we each have a choice .

I designed, manufactured and installed a facility for BOC gases to recycle the new R4 refrigerants in the late nineties so I consider my experience to be enough to know that the units available today are only a token jester to recycling and are not that good.

The kit in your van for a few quid are 100% unreliable

But as it goes there are requirements for these machines but only when the operator knows whats they want.

An engineer with a requirement to recycle will be an engineer wanting and knowing what they are doing.

ps.it freezing here I bet you sun is shining ;)

Fri3Oil System
29-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Maybe my English and/or knowledge are not wide enough to understand you, or either we are talking about different things. Would you, for instance accept a recycled gas with a maximum of 600ppm of impurities as a good-to-reuse gas?

Sun shines here, 17ºC this morning, had lunch and a coffee at a terrace in the sea shore... but it was a little windy, so it wasn't that pleasant... but I don't complain :D

Quality
29-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Lucky sod

What impurities at 600 ppm do you refer to ?
Moisture content is max 10ppm

Fri3Oil System
30-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Lucky sod

What impurities at 600 ppm do you refer to ?
Moisture content is max 10ppm

Even regenerated gases have around 40ppm. Recycling is not regeneration, is it?

600ppm impurities include acids, oils, moisture, etc. impurites.

Regards,

Nando.

jakehabing
03-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Guys,

I just want a good way to recycle my r-22. So that is is clean enough to use in my own equipment. Not planning to resale the gas. That would require a lab to test it to see if it was clean to the standards. I don't have the money to buy a recycling machine. I would like to be able to use my recovery unit.
To give you some idea of what I want exactly. I have about 50lbs of recovered r-22 that is possibly contaminated with some compressor burn out r-22. I want to clean this gas.

Quality
03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Using an oiless recovery unit draw vapour from the doner cylinder through a burnout cleanup drier such as one that has at least 2 x 48cu" drier cores then into a known clean cylinder. Then use a total test to give you some idea of acid and moisture content

jakehabing
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Quality,

Would that contaminate the clean cylinder with acid? After I remove the gas form the doner cylinder how do I clean this cylinder? Is there a way that would remove all the oil?

Quality
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Quality,

Would that contaminate the clean cylinder with acid? After I remove the gas form the doner cylinder how do I clean this cylinder? Is there a way that would remove all the oil?

You need a second clean cylinder, the way I described is the easiest cheapest attempt

jakehabing
04-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks Quality

airlift123
14-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Remember one unit is to recover the other to recycle refrigerant. Recycle means to turn the recovered refrigerant in to recycled gas that you can use. However depending on your recycleing skills I would not attemt recyling refigerant from a burn out.

Fri3Oil System
14-02-2011, 08:28 AM
If you check my profile's pictures, you will find some of them made at a burn out cleaning. You will see how dirty was the oil, actually black and rotten. The gas was then reused after the cleaning, 3 years ago now, and no more problems have arised since then. This compressor was changed like 3 times in 9 months before we did this cleaning.

So, do you think reusing a recycled gas after a burn out is not reliable? It doesn't matter that much how dirty or contaminated the gas is, as far as it's correctly decanted and separed from other liquids.

Regards,

Nando.