PDA

View Full Version : A/C For Flower Shop

bobjob
24-08-2005, 08:31 AM
I have received an enquiry from a flower shop for Air Con to keep the temperatures cool for the flowers in the summer months and to keep the temperatures above freezing in winter.

Before i go to see the shop owner,has anyone done this type of job before? and any recommendation on the equipment required etc.

I guess that the normal A/C equipment may not be suitable, on my conversation with the owner he wants a temperature around 15c to 18c in the flower area.

Thanks Bob

chilly
24-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi Qualitair do a low temperature cassett system that will look like a normal cassette but run down to 10 deg if sized right. Very expensive kit though.
Hellish bulky coil though so take a big strong chap with you to install it, You will need to supply an alternative source of heating also as these are not heatpump. To my knowladge the only alternative would be a refrigeration blower as qualitair are the only people to do the cassete style unit that will run down to these type of temperatures.

If you install a standard heat pump cassette and set it down to 18 it will ice up.

I would give the customer the option, a) live with the shop being 21 degrees, use an inverter heatpump to give closer temperature control. or b) Advise on qualitair option with seperate heater and advise of the price differance, (works out to about 1.7 times option a)

tonto
24-08-2005, 02:40 PM
You probably have to run two separate systems to do what you are thinking off, meat prep rooms usually sit at around 15 to 18 degrees and use a normal refrigeration type blower, and then you would have to heat the store whatever way you please.... Having two separate systems though could prove alot more costly, any other suggestions out there....

botrous
24-08-2005, 03:03 PM
hey , keep the humidity thing in mind , flowers are very delicate , if the humidity goes down , the flowers may go directly to the trash can

chemi-cool
24-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi Bob,
As Botrous said, humidity is very important and any kind of cooling you are thinking of, consider a humidifier controlled by humidistat.

I would use a different approach, a cooling coil, located outside the shop, air, entering in duct near the ceiling, spreading the air even, return air through filter and through the wall to the coil.

Chemi:)

botrous
24-08-2005, 08:10 PM
15 to 18 centigrade in the flowers area , that's not the perfect tempreture for flowers conservation , but that's a lot better that 30 or 35 centigrade , the flower will last longer , but not longer than if conserved at 10 or less (between 0 and 2 centigrades) . . . anyway just be sure that the humidity in that area , i mean the flowers area remains higher than 90% , and make sure that no water forms on the flowers , that leads to a fungus attack ==> flowers to trash can
You can read more about that on this webpage:http://pearl.agcomm.okstate.edu/hort/ornamental/f6426.htm
that's where i got the information.

Best regards

Andy W
24-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Use a cellar cooling system with electric heating, modify the control with a humidistat so heating and cooling come on together to dehumidify, fit a small steam boiler to control humidity and there you have it, a purpose built temperature / humidty system. Once the customer sees what is possible for a price he will settle for a cellar cooling system but as already been mentioned choose the evaporator carefully (TD) so you do not destroy the product if stored for longer than a couple of days.

frank
24-08-2005, 08:51 PM
The recommended storage temp for flowers is 16C with high humidity(65/70%)
To achive this you need a small delta t across the cooling coil (2 -3 C)

Select the evaporator carefully or you will dry the flowers out shortening the shelf life

Jus Walker
28-08-2005, 04:26 PM
We Install coldrooms and sales pitches for one of the biggest flower wholesalers in Manchester. All they ask for is coldrooms to be at 3'c to 5'c. No humidity problems. They just keep all flowers and plants watered well whilst storing, by means of placing flowers plants in specail water buckets. All walls of the coldroom are insulated, so in winter months this does not cause a problem.

botrous
28-08-2005, 05:59 PM
We Install coldrooms and sales pitches for one of the biggest flower wholesalers in Manchester. All they ask for is coldrooms to be at 3'c to 5'c. No humidity problems. They just keep all flowers and plants watered well whilst storing, by means of placing flowers plants in specail water buckets. All walls of the coldroom are insulated, so in winter months this does not cause a problem.

Hi Jus how are you ?
No humidity problems , you mean that they don't ask for a specific humidity ? instead they use a special flower package ?
And one more question what's the tempreture difference in that coldstore between the coolant and the room tempreture.

thanks in advance
Best regards

techguy
30-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi
Sell him a Sanyo DC inverter it can be set to control to 12c if necessary but remember to allow for the drop of in duty.
T

BritCit_Juve
07-09-2005, 10:47 PM
If the qualitair unit is too bulky try a Marstair cassette. HRP have published some low temperature systems in their AC price list matching the standard Marstair cassette units with smaller condensing units to operate down to 12°C.
Also if you have a word they could do the same with one of the Impact wall mounts!
Brit

bingshan001
15-08-2007, 04:20 AM
learned many knowledge,thanks you all!