PDA

View Full Version : Beko CDA660 Icing up

gekko
23-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi
All help and suggestions very gratefully received.
This Beko CDA 660 Fridge freezer keeps icing up the evaporator which is mounted behind a removable back panel in the freezer section.
It will last maybe a month before the icing is so bad (can get almost a litre of ice of it) that the freezer temperature clibs too high.
I take the back panel off, melt it all and have another month or so.

I have checked the heater element which is fixed to the evaporator - its 520 ohms.
There is an ELTH thermostat clipped onto one of the refrigerant pipes - 2 blue wires short circuit all the time and two white wires approx 1 ohm when still frozen and open circuit when room temperature.

I have not found the timer - guess its round the back and the unit is very difficult to get out of its hole.

Is the problem almost certainly the timer?? What else could it be?

If so I will buy a replacement before I take the FF out, so that way only one in/out session.

Thanks to all

andrlif
23-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi
Evaporator is covered with ice? Or tray under the evaporator, where the melt water flows?

gekko
24-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Andrlif
Thanks for your reply.
It's the evaporator itself which turns to a block of ice.
The tray underneath (which has a heating cable, with good continuity set in it ) is always free of water and ice

andrlif
24-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Then indeed likely problem in the timer. I live in Ukraine and we have such a model, Beko - do not sell. Therefore, the more help you can not.

tb637
25-01-2011, 01:21 AM
hi, the problem is the defrost timer fitted to the side of compressor in a white box. you can get one from partmaster.co.uk

gekko
25-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys for all your help
I will get a timer and pull the beast out of its hole
I'll post a reply in a week or two once I have changed the timer and given the beast a wek or so test

gekko
18-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi guys
well I pulled the beast out and fitted a new timer and bingo after a few days all is well no more frost
I then unscrewed the old timer and found the fault with it, this may help others save buying a new timer
The timer motor is approx 3200 ohms and there is a capacitor in series with it,
i measured the voltage across the motor and it was only 4 v AC
The capacitor is a 0.1 microfarad so a little maths says i should have 30+v
I bought a new capacitor (250v working) for 40 pence, its just a push fir no soldering and now I get 40V AC across the motor and it runs!!

If you need a new capacitor its small approx 1cm by 1cm by 4mm in size.
I have a picture of the motor ibnside if any one wants it.

andrew144
18-02-2011, 08:42 PM
hey guys ive a 2year old beko fridge freezer, light in chiller and fan working, but temp in both compartments room temp.every so often theres a humming sound for 5seconds then a click, anyone have any suggestions what has gone wrong??compressor??thermostat???any advice would be appreciated thanks

martin344
19-02-2011, 11:45 PM
That'll be your compressor stuffed. Google fridge repair, Comet do a fixed price repair for £125 (bit less if you quote a code)