PDA

View Full Version : shift work

smoggy
20-01-2011, 10:54 PM
how many companys are trying to introduce or are doing a shift system.where i work are trying to bring in a system .May be i dont understand it or am interpretting the info wrong ,but to me it just looks like a way of paying less overtime and having you work longer unsociable hours including weekends and paying single time for it .Would like to here comments on shifts,any pro's any con's

richelli
21-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Take it you work on Tesco's then? Ive heard about the new shifts coming in, I dont think its a good thing for the engineer by the sounds of it. The only place I want to be in the middle of the night is my bed, never mind your normal shift being through the night. Yes, i'm sure it will make some of the work easier, but at the end of the day If i'm out through the night, I want my pay to reflect the unsociable hours I work, and from what I was told, you wont be getting that!:rolleyes:

coolhibby1875
21-01-2011, 01:16 PM
unfortunatly everone who deals with supermarkets are in the same boat, in order to turn a very small profit from what they get from a supermarket companies need to reduce there fixed costs, the main 2 being labour and materials, the thing is being a fridge engineer working in supermarket we are being devalued and underpaid, the days of getting away withe 60 and 70 hours a week are a thing of the past!! companies cannot afford to be paying double time anymore hence getting everbody on shifts is the only way they can keep on top of hours booked,(FIXED COSTS)

asitis
21-01-2011, 08:59 PM
if you;re starting your shift midday and still expected to carryon taking emergency calls not shifts;exploitation of why shifts were brought into the workplace in the first instance...you will still be doing 80hrs in a week,especially in the summer months

aawood1
23-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi all,
Back in the old days when I worked shifts the payment for working shifts was 22% to 32% when the factory was running 24/7 on Veg and you lived in the compressor room for 12hrs a day.

smoggy
23-01-2011, 06:41 PM
last year we had drastic changes to our t+cs so that the company could effectiveley buy the work.Initially this gave them the economic advantage over there competitors.Now companys are cutting back on what they pay,so now my employer...NO PRIZES FOR GUESSING WHO THEY ARE..come up with a plan ..lets call it engineer wellfare (they say)rip off the engineers even more ,well have them working longer more unsociable hours ,work weekends and bank holidays for single time ...the engineers suckers that they are will fall for that one ..(funny thing is some have hook line and sinker)

tony--1
23-01-2011, 08:12 PM
last year we had drastic changes to our t+cs so that the company could effectiveley buy the work.Initially this gave them the economic advantage over there competitors.Now companys are cutting back on what they pay,so now my employer...NO PRIZES FOR GUESSING WHO THEY ARE..come up with a plan ..lets call it engineer wellfare (they say)rip off the engineers even more ,well have them working longer more unsociable hours ,work weekends and bank holidays for single time ...the engineers suckers that they are will fall for that one ..(funny thing is some have hook line and sinker)

sum 1 i know works for the same company as you and he thinks this is a great idea !!!:D

lowcool
25-01-2011, 04:13 AM
probably depends on tide times

smoggy
25-01-2011, 09:37 PM
unfortunatly everone who deals with supermarkets are in the same boat, in order to turn a very small profit from what they get from a supermarket companies need to reduce there fixed costs, the main 2 being labour and materials, the thing is being a fridge engineer working in supermarket we are being devalued and underpaid, the days of getting away withe 60 and 70 hours a week are a thing of the past!! companies cannot afford to be paying double time anymore hence getting everbody on shifts is the only way they can keep on top of hours booked,(FIXED COSTS)

thing is why do companys buy the work ,which is what this company has done,what cuts will have to be made the next time the contract comes up for renewal
if companys aren't makeing any profit why dont the directors and top management lead by example and take a 15% pay cut ,work nights ,be available 24hrs a day 7 days a week for no extra pay,,,see how keen they they would be then

smoggy
25-01-2011, 09:41 PM
if you;re starting your shift midday and still expected to carryon taking emergency calls not shifts;exploitation of why shifts were brought into the workplace in the first instance...you will still be doing 80hrs in a week,especially in the summer months

what happens if everyone says NO

tony--1
25-01-2011, 09:49 PM
how many companys are trying to introduce or are doing a shift system.where i work are trying to bring in a system .May be i dont understand it or am interpretting the info wrong ,but to me it just looks like a way of paying less overtime and having you work longer unsociable hours including weekends and paying single time for it .Would like to here comments on shifts,any pro's any con's

not yet :rolleyes:

but they followed with ova time rates

been told they will not be time will tell

matt.yelland
26-01-2011, 01:22 AM
You get a lawyer involved to try and put a stop to them changing the contract.... Then they still change the contract

smoggy
29-01-2011, 06:43 PM
company needs engineers as much as engineers need jobs