PDA

View Full Version : Elderly Ice cream machine.

Onthecut
18-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Anyone out there help with an elderly (1970s, we think) Carpigiani soft ice cream machine. Wiring frazzled + lots of bodges. Specifically, are the beaters intended to rotate when machine switched to 'conservation' ? There is a clutch fitted to allow the relevant shaft to be decoupled, but I've had conflicting info from different sources. Any tech spec or schematics on the machine very welcome ! Thanks.

botrous
18-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Well i donno much about those machines but you can contact the manufacturer for advise

Carpigiani:
Head quarter:
via emilia 45,
40011 Anzola dell'Emilia (BO)
Italy
Phone: +390516505111
Fax: +39051732178
www.Carpigiani.com
email :sales1@Carpigiani.it

Hope it will be usefull

Best regards

Onthecut
18-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the details; I will give them a try.

Argus
19-08-2005, 09:47 AM
I don?t want to be negative, but having worked on those old things occasionally in the 60?s and 70?s, there was never anything written down in English.

As I remember the conservation cycle operated the scraper when ever ice cream was pulled off. I don?t think that there was ever anything automatic.

The user had to pull a bowlful off every so often. This operated the worm, kept the stuff mixed and kept the seal wet. As I recall, the seal at the rear of the chamber used to dry out so that you needed to keep the thing full and working. There was a little tray at the back to collect seepage.

But you should never keep more product in it than you can sell in a day.

________
Ford Territory picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Territory)

Onthecut
19-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks Argus; I think you have hit one of the nails on the head -- absolutely no one seems to have any literature --- even a user manual --- at all. Tried Carpigiani HQ and a couple of UK agents; all said 'depends how it's wired' !!! I think it is the 'dispense' cyle you are referring to which rotates the beaters. We think the conservation mode has to refer to the chilling of the product held in the hopper, prior to its entry into the barrel, which only needs to be 2 -- 5 deg, and maintenance of the barrel at the chosen (- 15 ish) value. If this isn't the case, why have a separate conservation and dispense mode at all ? There is also a curious mechanical arrangement, whereby the beater driving pulley runs up a short ramp if the beater is frozen in place, moves the pulley backwards opening the contacts on a microswitch, presumably to cut the compressor feed and let things thaw. Must remember not to get involved with the antiques trade again !!!!

chillin out
19-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I thought there was a law (or strong guidelines) that stated you could only have those machines for a set number of years.

This was (i think) because there is no way to sterilise and clean every part.

al
19-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Conservation mode would probably be for overnight storage, with the beater/scraper being kept off and just the refrigeration left on.

Al

Argus
19-08-2005, 10:50 PM
I thought there was a law (or strong guidelines) that stated you could only have those machines for a set number of years.

This was (i think) because there is no way to sterilise and clean every part.

Never heard of that one.

It must also apply to all forms of dairy processing machinery, and other types of equipment that handles food in its raw state.

So, lets chuck out all our food processors that are more than...how many years old?

________
easy vape review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

leffe blonde
10-11-2005, 11:07 PM
hi m8t, any chance of any pics , might be able to identify the model, and shed some light on it , the curious mechanical method you mention actually sounds like the consistancy control

martinpsullivan
17-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Hello there
i have found carpigiani hard work to deal with but in the uk you could try a company called malibu corporation i think they have a website www.malibu-corporation.co.uk. They are based in manchester.
Theres also a company called serv equip/ ingrams in croydon south london although dont have number available. Hope this helps. p.s malibu do sell basic instruction/ technical info books for £5 if you have model number.

botrous
17-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the details; I will give them a try.

welcome , hope it was helpful

chiller563
19-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Onthecut, you have either a model 832 or 820 "double header unit. These were the best soft serve units of all time. I still have customers with these machines and work on them quite a bit. The beaters do not run in the energy conservation mode. Only the refrigeration is cycled by way of a thermostat in the control panel. Depending on the year of manufacture the beaters could turn either way. If there is a reversing assembly on the back of the main flywheel(s) which connects to the belt running the mix pump in the hopper, the beaters should be turning counter clockwise. If the mix pump belt connects directly to the flywheel(s), but on a smaller hub than the main belts, the beaters should be turning clockwise. The other way to check this is to look at the beater, the beater creates a screw effect which "pushes" the ice cream to the front, so just envision the way the "screw" would turn to push to the front of the unit. I would bet that your unit should be turning counter clockwise. I also have all info on these units including full manuals, so if there is anything you need just let me know.

Chill

chillin out
20-11-2005, 12:31 PM
ON THE CUT has not been on this forum since 19/8/05. So no point in replying to his problem.

Good post chill helpfull to the rest.

Chillin:) :)