PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong air purger modification

RANGER1
17-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Armstrong air purgers are a pain & expensive if needle & seat leak on air release mechanism.
There is an add on to rectify very easily & I am not sure if its only being done in Australia & who actually invented modification, but it works.

-Add on is basically plug off air release connection with 1/4" plug.
-Remove relief valve on top if instaled (1/2")
-Screw in Parker stainless steel LLC float switch
-In outlet of LLC float screw in a tee , with one branch of tee re-instal relief valve & other branch of tee screw in a solonoid (small as possible) followed by needle valve & check valve.
-Bracket if necassary
-Wire up solonoid in series with float switch .

Takes several hours & finished. The only thing really to maintain is solonoid valve which you could instal a stop valve before it as well if you wanted to .

Everything is screwed type fitting

TXiceman
18-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I much prefer the Hansen purger over the old armstrong.

RANGER1
18-01-2011, 08:33 PM
TXiceman,
Could'nt agree more but years ago there was'nt anything else out there.
It would be rare to put in a new one these days.

Nh34life
28-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Every amstrong i have worked on has leaked on the internal serpintine coil, as well as constant recomissioning
Hansen are plug n play, I prefer manual purging, unless there foul gas outlet is clocked by scada otherwise could hide a low side leak

Valentino
06-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi all, I know the guy that did the first LLC float change. I have also converted the latest Hansen non electrical to float control, The factory needle and seat is a very poor design.