PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting a domestic system

slyp98
17-01-2011, 06:52 PM
hi guys , im looking for info regarding the troubleshooting of domestic f/f 's, i'm not a refrigeration tech but i am a mech. engineer so i'm not a complete idiot . Do i need special tools ? is there access to technical data for the different brands ? where do you start ? electrical or mechanical is there a specific fault indication route to take or is it just trial and error checking components , and lastly what components can be checked by myself thanks fellers :D

Gary
17-01-2011, 07:06 PM
i'm not a refrigeration tech but i am a mech. engineer so i'm not a complete idiot .

You're an incomplete idiot? :D

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Start here:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

Brian_UK
17-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Bear in mind that in the EU you are not allowed to work on refrigeration equipment without your F-Gas Certificate.

[Sorry Gary, I know that you hate this legalise stuff, ;)]

slyp98
17-01-2011, 09:38 PM
so are you saying that everyone who gets repair advice on this site has a gas cert.?

charlie patt
17-01-2011, 09:43 PM
advise is one thing doing something about it is another in gb if you break into a ref system you need a qualification and many other countries the same. as far as testing goes you cant still use a clampmeter and visuall inspection and feel but when the billet valve needs to go on you need the paperwork so basically you can do a small amount but not a lot ta charlie

Gary
17-01-2011, 09:44 PM
so are you saying that everyone who gets repair advice on this site has a gas cert.?

Everyone should be made aware of the local laws... so they can avoid getting caught. :rolleyes:

charlie patt
17-01-2011, 09:44 PM
sorry that was can still use a clampmeter sorry just got of call

slyp98
18-01-2011, 09:31 AM
yeah thats what i'm on about , i have no intention of breaking into any gas system i dont have the knowledge i'll leave that to the experts but i'm sure there is a lot that can be done to test leccy components and to troubleshoot .. if the fan is working then ???______ is not the problem , if the fan is working then test the thermistor etc; thanks :D

paul_h
19-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Better off just asking a specific question.
All brands are different, most have diagnostics (ie fault codes) if the have electronics. If they are all electro-mechanical, then getting a wiring diagram is the first thing. Some brands have a diagram on the fridge, or even the fault codes, others do not so you're stuffed unless you have access to their service manuals.
But to write just about one brand would be a book, to write about all of them is impossible for me because I hate typing.
Tools? Just a good multimeter that can also check capacitance (if the compressor cuts out on overload and start capacitor suspected)

slyp98
19-01-2011, 07:59 PM
ok thats cool paul , its a bosch f/f i'll start a new thread