PDA

View Full Version : GoldStar fridge's (transformer) in the 'circuit' burnt

Faisal Tasleem
15-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey Friends,

After coming to this web site, I think I have found what I was searching for. I have a 'refrigerator' problem which is bugging me since one and half month. I have a GOLDSTAR fridge which worked nice but as my 'transformer' which is also known as steplizzer (it's a device used to provide 220 Volts even if the input voltage is lower than 220). That steplizzer went 'mad' and started giving (265 volts) to the fridge; the fridge worked for a month under that circumstances and finally died. I mean the (transformer) which is located on the 'circuit' board (on the top) of fridge died.

I gave that to a few electritions; they tried to 'rewind' it and it worked but after 2 to 3 hours it burns...

SO finally I went to the company and made that 'transformer' repaired from the 'Professional' guys. But after putting it on; I realized that the 'tap' which was put on the transformer after rewinding started melting and shrinking... See things I switched off my fridge; after when I touched the 'transformer'; it was as hot as 'boiling' water... And this happened only in 10 minutes from the time I plugged it to the power. Though in that 10 minutes fridge started making 'cooling' and the 'input' voltage is (220) as I bought a new steplizzer so "NO" this time it's not the problem of 'input voltage'... I wonder where the problem is...

It's not yet burnt but I am afraid if I continue it this way it will 'surely' burn...

kindly have a look on the attachements see the 'current' situation of the 'circuit' and the tranformer.. the 'red' tape on the 'transformer' is shrunk...!

Please give me suggestion (s). I have no idea of what this all is going on with me...
Some people say that the 'compressor' is jammed and therefore it's asking for more 'power' to work that's why the 'transformer' keeps burning...
My doubt is that the 2 'capacitors' located behind the fridge have some problem as those capacitors are the ones who receive the 'power' from the 'socket' and then they send the power to that 'circuit'..

Thanks once again, please help me. I look forward for suggestions..

Faisal.

mikeref
16-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Faisal,I looked over this post earlier thinking someone with a better idea on this problem may have answered. My view is the circuit board is faulty as the transformer is being overloaded. Can't see how this "transformer" is at fault now as it has been fixed several times, but monitor supply voltage if you decide to replace p.c.b.

Faisal Tasleem
16-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks boss, as I had in my doubt,the transformer just 'burnt' or you can say 'reburnt' for the 3rd time :D it's funny... Isn't???

Well my friend; here some electritions told me that this problem is "occuring'' because some 'trouble' in the compressor. They think that compressor's motor is 'burnt' or 'jammed' so it's asking for 'more power'... Is it possible?? I mean believe me the fridge worked for around 4 hours and the cooling is great; I mean it frozed the 'ice'. The "Coke'' is 'chilled'... SO NO cooling issue. But still is it possible that 'compressor' is on fault so therefore it's 'burning' the transformer??

And please do tell me where I can buy this 'PCB'? How much it's gonna cost??

And yes someone suggested me to put the fridge on 'direct' ; So in this way all the 'computerized' functions would get disabled so it means no 'lcd' etc... But this will solve my problem and fridge will operate like old 'manual' fridges...

IS it a good solution of this problem??

Thank you very much.

Faisal.

mikeref
16-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Something is causing transformer to overload. I would first disconnect all plug in connections off the pcb, then apply power and see if transformer does not overheat. IF it does, than pcb faulty. If not, connect plugins one at a time untill problem develops. You will find the compressor is run off a relay and the relay coil only is powered by the pcb. No idea where to purchase replacement pcb, maybe manufacturers.

Faisal Tasleem
27-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I just wanted to say that 'my problem is solved'. How ? Well the company replaced the 'transformer' with the 'transformer' of a scraped fridge.. I mean my fridge is of year 1993 {my birth year} so it means that the PCB is no more produced... Therefore they changed the 'transformer' and all is working 'fine'...

I hope it will remain fine... It's fine since a week now I am enjoying chilled "Pepsi" :D

Thanks for the support and I hope that this thread would be helpful for 'someone'...

Faisal..

mikeref
28-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Faisal, nice to see this worked out for you.