PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint Mistral 8596 overcooling?

tlawrenson
13-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi

Our fridge freezer is kept in a garage, as it has been for 10 years. Recently we've noticed that it seems to stay on for longer and longer, and that the freezer gets down to -23C before it switches off. The only control we have is over the temp of the fridge, in a range from 0 - 6C. To try to get it to stop the overcooling, we set the fridge temp at +6C. But it always seems to continue to operate until the fridge is +5C or +4C.

Is it operating more than it is intended to be? I always thought the freezer should be at -18C. Could it be something to do with the recent very cold weather - given that it is in the garage which must have been near freezing some days recently?

I recently tried plugging it into a timeclock to force it to go on and off, but yesterday I found it had stopped working altogether - or at least it sounded like it was working, but it (the freezer) had reached ambient temp.

I switched it all off (took all the food out etc). and assumed it had finally given up the ghost. But I switched it back on again, and lo and behold, it was cold again an hour later.

Fyi, being Frost Free, we haven't switched it off for more than an hour or two in the last 10 years.

Any thoughts on what's up?