PDA

View Full Version : k20 whirlpool has power but not making ice

cv65user
13-01-2011, 10:39 AM
hi

i had a k20 whirlpool working but recently it stopped generating ice cubes.

the top section of the unit is warm. yesterday i managed to take it off to peep inside.

the k20 turns on , left the green button which is the on button on over night still no cubes although its meant to be 45 min first cycle then every 15min cycle for cubes to come out. the grid is warm.

there is a water supply because when i drain it water comes out.

the machine only has two buttons. the other being the blue button which is a cleaning maintanance cycle. i pressed it and the button led turns on and the machine makes a clicking noise but thats it. I remember when I use to press it previously it would spray water all over the supply bin as to wash it.

based on this i presume its water pump or condensor (the big black thing at back with grille over it) or needs re gassing if it does?

I downloaded a service manual but it only taught me how to maintan it. please help.

G Cook
13-01-2011, 11:23 AM
If you have no water flowing over the evaporator plate, and the plate is warm to the touch it sounds like your ice machine is on a defrost cycle. The defrost cycle on these machines is activated by the evaporator thermostat. Sound like the thermostat could be faulty.

I assume you can hear the machine running?

cv65user
13-01-2011, 03:48 PM
hi. thanks for the fast reply.

yes you could be right, k20 turns on and I can hear normal refridgerator noise. top of unit is always warm even after I left k20 on overnight.

that slab plate is not warm but hot to the touch like a radiator. so I think you may be right its stuck in defrost mode?

does the unit need regassing and how can i test the thermostat or force it to cold mode?

cv65user
13-01-2011, 04:20 PM
sorry didnt know how to edit but upon further research. It shows there are two thermostat in the whirlpool k20. Therefore could you advise if its likely to be the supply bin thermostat or the ice cube cutter thermostat.

would the thermostat failure not allow me to run the cleaning cycle? As when I press the blue cleaning button cycle i can hear a click from the unit bottom rear right hand side but nothing happens.

monkey spanners
13-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Ice bin stat just turns the thing off when the bin is full of ice (though really it just assumes if its nice and cold then bin must be full)

You could try turning the ice thickness stat to minimum, make a pencil mark where the pointer is first though, and see if it kicks in to making ice.
Could be a duff stat, (not switching when it should)
Could be short of refrigerant (not enough heat developed during defrost)
Could be a duff compressor (not pumping as well as it should)
Could possibly be a duff water pump/water valve and condenser fan motor, (not water flow and evap warm due to no cooling going on in the condenser)

Who can say :o

G Cook
13-01-2011, 05:33 PM
As far as i can remember all the cleaning cycle button does is allow water to circulate through the machine without the compressor running.

rasper1
13-01-2011, 06:32 PM
if the compressor is running and the evap coil is warm sounds like the defrost stat is not working and is keeping the hot gas defrost solonoid open. try turning defrost timer.

charlie patt
13-01-2011, 09:22 PM
when both buttons are pressed the black vane on top of the water pump should spin and water should run over evap plate however if machine has been of you may need to suck on the flexi pipe to get rid of airlock but make sure water in bin and dont suck the crap in the pipe if you then have flow of water turn of water switch and let run the first cycle takes approx 45 mins depending on water temp the water is still fdlowing over grid after 20 mins if unit is stuck on defrost the comp will trip its klixon due to load you will know if stuck on df because the water valve will be letting water into the bin if system does not freeze plate then either comp us or refrigerant low if some idiot has not fitted a billet valve as they always leak dont bother regasing as 90 percent of time evap is gone in top corner ta

cv65user
29-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the help. An engineer came out and said that 3 parts need replacing which made the k20 beyond economical repair.

I am now looking at prices for these machines and i am suprised these machines are still worth £700 rrp.

Im sure he said compressor and a few other things need replacing. But i think as small DIY project I can salvage and repair it.

Sooo... off to negotiate with brewary as its for a pub for a repalcement model :(