PDA

View Full Version : WIC outdoor condensing unit, Running High head in low ambient

thangbom
12-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone! i got sent out to replace a semi-her. compressor 1hp run with R-22. After finished everything and start up the unit. my gauge reading 43psig for low side and 250psig for high side with the ambient temperature -20C (-4F). Temperature in the box is dropping and satisfied the T-stat. i'm thinking the head master might not working properly. but i'm not sure, would anyone able to help me out.

Thang

thangbom
12-01-2011, 08:14 AM
And sight glass only 1/4 full. Running load amps rated 6.2A, and when i checked for running amperes, only 3.5A, properly low in charge, but compressor running high head that why i didn't add any more gas in. By the way the compressor had been re-built.

roger head
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Sounds like contaminants in the system to me, I would try reclaiming the refrigerant re- vacing the system and putting new gas in.
Roger

monkey spanners
12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Why did the original compressor need changing?

Is the condenser clean?

Did you also change the drier as well?

thangbom
13-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Original compressor was open winding, took out to the shop to re-built and then i got sent out to replace. evacuated to 350 microns, new drier filter, recovered with filtered and re-use the refrigerant, acid test for refrigerant and oil, good. start up compressor, running with high head, and sight glass only showed 1/4 full. head master for r-22 minimum maintain pressure in low ambient 180psi. in this case i'm not sure, Roger Head might be right, contamination! i didn't have a chance to go back yet.

Tankerbox
19-01-2011, 07:07 AM
I would also say you have contaminants. do what was sugested,evacuate system, use new reff, and hi capacity drier. I suspect the reff. was contaminated when it was removed and then used again..
Please let us know the out come. so we can all learn.
good luck.

Bones
19-01-2011, 09:10 AM
sounds like contaminets for sure