PDA

View Full Version : Little toy

alpha
15-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi, well I didn't realise this forum had this section here :cool:

Anyways, I just build a little water chiller for my pc, I know it's been done before but I just couldn't help plastering a picture or two as I'm rather chuffed with myself..

Take one small 1/3 hp 134a condensing unit, some wood, a resevoir and a few little other bits and pieces, stock up on beer and spend a few nights in the garage.

Works pretty well, just need to plumb it into upstairs.
The things I do for silent pc :rolleyes:

botrous
15-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Nice one alpha , are you a fridgy ??

alpha
15-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi, I'm in the industry for my sins, more into transport refrigeration side though.

botrous
15-08-2005, 09:53 PM
ah ok , that's a briante idea what u've done , tell me the cold water coil is puted directly on the cpu ? or you are cooling the whole case . . .
What about the humidity and condensation of water problem ? what u've done ?

alpha
15-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi, well the plan thus far is to pump the coolant upstairs and into a water block on the cpu then the outlet of this block will goto a radiator to cool the case a shade so hopefully any condesation that does form will be on the outside of the case away from the electronics. In all honesty my main pc is not going to be run that cool, maybe +10C or thereabouts. I hope that set up like this condensation will be virtually nil although I will be lightly insulating the water block and the back of the mobo just to be on the safe side.

That's about as far as I have got for now, I'm really pretty new to cooling pc's with water so I'm sure a sharp learning curve is on it's way for me.

botrous
15-08-2005, 11:40 PM
did you read this threat , it's in the same category you are posting in , in contains useful pics and informations
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039&highlight=computer+cooling

best regards

alpha
16-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Yes, I have seen that thread thanks.

alpha
12-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi, well just over a year later and the water coolers running perfectly, my original idea to cool a pc upstairs has gone somewhat backwards so have now put it into use cooling off some overclocked number crunchers. The next mod will be to reduce compressor run time as electric costs and partly try cool the coolant through a radiator outside in the summer and maybe, try heat the office in the winter with another rad... time will tell.
Another update in a years time :)
click click (http://www.members.aol.com/mnsw1/private/fow1)