PDA

View Full Version : Cordless flaring tool?

Cool Force
09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi, all the best for the new year to everyone.

On americantoolsupplyinc.com they're selling a cordless flaring tool cft300, does anyone know what this is? How it works etc?

What is the best way to make a flare?

stufus
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
The ITE eccentric flaring tool comes with a 3/8 drive adapter which can be used with a service ratchet or cordless drill .
It costs about 130 euro over here,i dont see the benefit in using power tools for flaring as it is the preparation of the pipe face to be flared that is important.
A good reamer or de-burring tool is the key.
The cft -300 comes with flare blocks that clamp onto the pipe
and drill with a recessed cone that connects to the clamp
Overrated and over priced.
Regards

Stu

FreezerGeezer
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Can't see the point unless you're doing hundreds a day & it saves enough time to pay for itself.

Cool Force
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks, guess the old fashioned way is best then. Are there any fancy/advanced reamers or de-burring tools available?

stufus
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Stick to the pen-type and inner-outer and you cant go wrong.
Have a look here.How advanced do you want it to be ? The end result is the same..If done right..
http://www.google.ie/images?rlz=1C1DVCB_enIE332IE367&q=deburring+tools&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=kl4sTZSqIZODhQfT_YW5CQ&sa=X&oi=image_result

Stu

paul_h
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I use things like these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PHVJ9W/ref=asc_df_B002PHVJ9W1365947?smid=A1K91FMNH68JLM&tag=nextagusmp0404099-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002PHVJ9W

The pen type didn't work for me unless I kept it really sharp.
The standard 45 deg inner outer take too much meat of the end of the pipe before fully deburred, so higher chance of cracking when flaring.
But the long 15 deg tapered reamers with 6 cutting edges take the burrs off quickly for me. Got mine from an automotive parts shop for stuff all (supercheap for you aussies)

monkey spanners
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I've always used a stanley knife to debur the pipe for flaring. I have a pen style one too with the swively blade and one of those cone ones, but always end up using the stanley knife!

(still have most of my fingers....)

Bigfreeze
11-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I find the cone cutters great. Don't apply too much weight and you get a great finish

Quality
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeh I use cone cutter too nice and smooth and ya can get the upto 1 1/8 , just pop in the battery drill

chemi-cool
11-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Leatherman Super tool 300 doe's it for me.

Check this one, http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

paul_h
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I've always used a stanley knife to debur the pipe for flaring. I have a pen style one too with the swively blade and one of those cone ones, but always end up using the stanley knife!

(still have most of my fingers....)
I find the blades too brittle, chip and break too easily, plus get blunt too quickly.
Hell, I shave with a single edge blade, and when it's too blunt to shave with, I put it in my tool box.
It's still is sharper than a stanley knife blade and cuts better and lasts longer.
Only last week I was struggling to cut insulation with a new stanley blade after a few lengths. Today I was breezing through it with an old used razor blade.

Cool Force
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow, never knew there was such a huge range of deburring tools. Those hydraulic flaring kits must cost quite a bit.

monkey spanners
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I've got a Lenox saw like this one that i use for cutting armaflex etc though i'm sure it was cheaper than that!
It takes blades from a sabre saw so you can use metal or wood blades in it.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Lenox-20992-3636-Tri-Fold-Saw-%285-Pack%29/60118/Cat/415

Jon :)

mikeref
13-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Don't be so lazy Jon, shove the pipe in the insulation using baby powder. Really annoying trying to reseal armaflex after its been gutted. Glue eventually lets go, duct tape gets messy, especially with that cheap stuff, and compressing the insulation reduces its efficiency. Wet areas grow mold and go slippery then attract rats/mice.. yuk! .. Moving on, Pipe cutters. Had one that wouldn't stay in the groove. One turn then its off up the pipe cutting some weird thread. Tossed it and bought Rothenberger with deburrer on board.

paul_h
13-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Wow, never knew there was such a huge range of deburring tools. Those hydraulic flaring kits must cost quite a bit.

I watched th e video on that site, not exactly a time saver or takes less effort anyway.

regarding cutting and gluing insulation, I only cut and glue insulation when I have to fit it to an existing unit. Like replacing insulation on pair coil that's disintegrated, or rodent/fire damaged insulation

flyinkiwi
13-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I can't really agree with the principal of automating something a basic as a flaring tool.

However, having had a wrist injury (from a brand new drill of good brand but poor design, that's a whole 'nother story) I can see a time when something like this might be an option - or I could just send staff to the job... :p