PDA

View Full Version : Reason to keep Fridge / Window Unit Upright always?

Z2TT
07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I've heard lots of salesman mention that window units and fridges should not be tipped over on the side and if they are they need to be left for half an hour before you can turn them on........ something about "The gas being out of the compressor".

Is there any truth to this, would there be parts of the refrigerant that are always in a liquid state and could possibly slug the compressor if you lean the fridge or air con unit on the side for an amount of time before straightening it up and starting it?

Thanks

stufus
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
A lot of truth;)
Its not about the gas so much ,it's about the oil in the compressor flowing out of the sump if its tilted over.
Allowing it to stand after transport is to enable the oil to return to the compressor.
You wouldn't start your car engine if you thought there was no oil in it .
Or would you??:p
regards

Stu

paul_h
07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Did you make a post on WP or ocau about this?

Main thing about fridges, the motor can fall of it's springs partially, so will 'clunk' every time it cycles off for the rest of it's life. So always move fridges in their vertical position and don't jerk them about

mikeref
09-01-2011, 05:43 AM
WHAT is the deal with this transportation problem. Put it on a trolley if its a fridge, or 2 persons to lift air-conditioner about -Upright :rolleyes: Had a post "why wait" in old wives tales but really, :confused: who is stupid enough to move these items on their side or upside-down?.. Mike.

Z2TT
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
No transportation inst a problem I was just curious of the effects of tilting a fridge on it's side.

Even if it was tilted and the oil escaped the sump, wouldn't there be residual amounts of oil to provide initial lubrication? Or is there a chance the oil can pool up at the inlet and slug the compressor?

Cheers/

Brian_UK
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM
No transportation inst a problem I was just curious of the effects of tilting a fridge on it's side./
Why turn it on it's side?

Do you buy a car and turn it on it's side, no of course not. It's the same with a fridge, the door opens one way and is designed for that purpose. If it was designed to lay on it's side they would install the compressor at 90° from where it is now.