PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent Dye.

Frikkie
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Hello to everybody and a very happy new year it has been long since I was here.

I have a small fridge in one of my animal sheds which is used for keeping animal medicine and vaccinations inside it. It is a normal very small fridge which has a small ice cupboard at the top. The fridge leaked it's gas about 3 years ago so I fitted a valve and put in more gas. It worked for a few months then needed more gas. Then it was empty again a third time so I put in some fluoresent dye and more gas so I can find the leak and fix it fully.
The problem is that it has now stopped leaking for over one year. Can the yellow dye have fixed the leak? I can't see any yellow stains anywhere on the pipes or weldings or anywhere inside the fridge. I am not sorry it is fixed but I would just like to know the answer for myself
The fridge is using R12 gas and the compressor is 1/12th HP. I'm not sure how old it is but I have it for about 15 years but I bought it already used.

Thank you for your answers.

monkey spanners
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't know about it sealing leaks but then again i have not used dye in such a small system before.

Did you use the correct ultra violet lamp and goggles to check for leaks?
We had a custome who used a uv security lamp but i think the light is a different frequency so the dye doesn't glow, same with the special goggles, without them to filter the light the leaks are impossible to find.

Jon :)

install monkey
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
does it have a line tap valve or a schraeder valve. is there s rubber seal in the valve cap?

chemi-cool
08-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Its about time to get a new fridge.

Frikkie
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Did you use the correct ultra violet lamp and goggles to check for leaks?
We had a custome who used a uv security lamp but i think the light is a different frequency so the dye doesn't glow, same with the special goggles, without them to filter the light the leaks are impossible to find.
Jon :)
Yes, the glasses and the light came in the box together with the bottles of dye.

does it have a line tap valve or a schraeder valve. is there s rubber seal in the valve cap?
I put on a clamp around valve onto the spare compressor suction pipe which was just welded closed off. All the orings and seals are there and I tested it with soapy bubble water as well. The fridge was leaking gas before I fitted this valve so the leaking must be somewhere else.

Its about time to get a new fridge.
You might be right but this one isn't even 20 years old yet. It would be a shame to throw it away when is still a teenager.:D
Anyway the leaking has stopped at the moment. If it starts to lose more gas I may look to buy new one, the R12 is not very easy to find now and I want to keep some for my other fridges.