PDA

View Full Version : line tap valves

doormaster2008
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
firstly may i wish everybody a happy new year.now the tricky bit.can any of you guys and possibly gals out there tell me if anyone does metric line tap valves.all the wholesalers i deal with only sell the usual 1/4.3/16.5/16. etc.about 50 per cent of commercial cabinets now have metric pipe.why cant the wholesalers stock valves that fit the pipe.or is it just me.you used to be able to fit a valve without any problems now most are loose on the pipe.how do you boys abroad manage.thanks.

james10
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
the valves climate centre sell come with rubber gaskets i would have thought between 1/4 and 6mm with the difference being only .35mm the gasket woud compensate for this

sedgy
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
hi doormaster,
from your age I can tell you are from the same era as myself cos I still messure in english not mickeric,
I did work in a lot of countries, and allways found fridge pipes to be imperial,
yes line tap valves area good tool < for assisting to get gas out of a system that has no service valves, but I would never leave a LTV on a system. with gas in it.
sedgy.

monkey spanners
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I usually braze one of those schreader things on with a copper stub. I have some imperial eastman piercing pliers for refrigerant removal before fitting, or a pinch block that allows the stub to be sealed while you braze on the schreader and then rounded off again.

sedgy
07-01-2011, 01:13 AM
yes monkey spanners, very good point , but doormaster was asking about line tap valves which are very good , but are suspect when left on a running unit, esspecialy if you are going to fill the gap with a piece of 3,5mm gasket now thats a no ,no
sedgy

doormaster2008
08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
the valves climate centre sell come with rubber gaskets i would have thought between 1/4 and 6mm with the difference being only .35mm the gasket woud compensate for this
unfortunately the rubber gasket does not fill the gap.at times you have no option but to fit a line tap,mainly to recover refrigerant from the system and i certainly dont want it leaking when i do that.like you monkey spanners i try to fit schraeder fittings where possible,but why with all this metric pipe that is used now do we not have tools etc to fit it.

Magoo
08-01-2011, 01:41 AM
line tap valves.............. Hate them with a passion. Install a leak process.

P-Town
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I just came accross a new True prep bgox and i believe its low on refrig. do all these new models come w/o service valves?

P-Town
08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
yea and i cant spell or type good either

paul_h
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
unfortunately the rubber gasket does not fill the gap.at times you have no option but to fit a line tap,mainly to recover refrigerant from the system and i certainly dont want it leaking when i do that.like you monkey spanners i try to fit schraeder fittings where possible,but why with all this metric pipe that is used now do we not have tools etc to fit it.
Like MS I use the tapping pliers. They are adjustable like vice-grips, and of course a lot quicker to fit.
Clamp them on, fit gauges (the pliers have a schraeder valve), reclaim, do your repairs, weld in schraeder+copper tail, evac and charge.
We don't have metric copper down here, that's for sure. Manufacturers may call it metric (6.3mm etc) but it's just 1/4" as it was, no size change etc