PDA

View Full Version : Quick Windows Shutdown

Tayters
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
To save going through the menus to shut down windows try this method to make a desktop shortcut.

Make a new shortcut
Paste this into the Target C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
Change the Run menu to minimised

Now you can just click on it when you want to shutdown windows.

I renamed it 'Babylonian Judgement' for added mystic!

Cheers,

Andy.

chilliwilly
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Or even just press the on/off switch and let it log off and power down.

mikeref
02-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Or even just press the on/off switch and let it log off and power down.
Takes too long to restart and then a whole lot of junk comes up, Delete, next.. remind me later,... been so long since last virus scan..... email alert.... windows did not shut down.. etc. Just go start/turn off/standby. has to be simple, REAL SIMPLE for me to follow. My 13 year old has to get me out of trouble sometimes:o.. mike.

chilliwilly
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes I know what you mean. The older version of windows (1.0, 2.0 ,3.0 and 95) were a pain in the arse. With xp and vista you just go into settings and program the on/off button to power down and log off. Its makes a short cut.

paul_h
02-01-2011, 07:50 PM
WinXP was simple, pres the windows key, then 'U', then 'U' and you are done.
Vista slightly harder, win key, 'U' then arrow down 2-3 time.

But really only my laptop gets shut down, my desktops run 24/7.

Old PC with a mailserver and spam filter, and for all my business stuff for my email address runs 24/7.
This desktop which is me stuffing around on the internet runs 24/7. Old PC goes to sleep if it's doing nothing, this PC runs of a SSD and cool and quiet CPU ramping down so if it's not doing much doesn't use much power.

The laptop which I take on site for manuals and banking etc is the only PC I have that has to be shut down and started up all the time. It is a laptop and came with vista, so a real piece of crap.
Got sick of it and only today which is my day off I installed ubuntu 10.10 for notebooks. So far so good and a lot faster.

mikeref
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Where do i find the "ANY" key? When computer comes up with... press any key to continue.. just kidding, blonde thing.