PDA

View Full Version : Samsung cool 'n' cool SR-L3916BSS

John11
31-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hello,

We have a problem with our Samsung fridge freezer. We're not quite sure if a door was left open or whether it just stopped working overnight, but we woke up one morning with some things melted/beginning to defrost.

The fridge doesn't stay cool any more and things like Ice Cream start to melt in the freezer. When this happens, there is also no sound from the fridge freezer to indicate it's working properly, usually theres a dull buzz you get with normal, working fridge freezers. We found a way around this by turning the fridge off (either by the fridge switch or the plug socket) and back on again. After a couple of seconds of doing this, the fridge freezer clicks into action and we can hear the sound it makes when it's working, and the fridge and freezer start working correctly.

After a while, I'm not really sure how long, an hour or a few hours maybe, we will notice the fridge has stopped making the sound again and that the fridge temperature has warmed again. Again, the only fix is to turn it off and on again.

There is no indication as to why the fridge freezer stops working apart from the lack of sound, the lights at the top are the same as they always are (3 out of lights are lit).

Does anyone know what the problem could be? If you need more information then ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks!

tonto33
31-12-2010, 02:36 PM
put it into error code mode then it will tell u what the fault is

John11
31-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. At risk of sounding stupid, how do I put it into error code mode? :o

John11
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
It seems to stop cooling a lot sooner after switching it off and on now. Had to do that about 20 times today.

John11
01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Took the back panel off from the freezer but nothing seems frozen there so I'm out of ideas.

John11
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
After removing everything that had screws in it to check if there was a problem anywhere, and after putting everything back again, everything seems to be working fine for the moment (14+ hours). I have no idea what was wrong, but having it switched off for an hour and checking everything out, something seems to have done the trick.

John11
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
The problem is back. :(

tonto33
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
check the damper motor also the defrost heater

John11
02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
check the damper motor also the defrost heater

Thanks for getting back to me.

When I open up the back of the freezer, what am I meant to be checking for? We couldn't find an ice build up anywhere.

tonto33
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
best way is get a engineer to look at it

mikeref
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
If this is a side/side unit, chances are the p.c.b is picking up a fault with one of its sensors or motors. This is where a domestic scan tool comes in handy.(i've not been able to purchase such item yet.) Had a Samsung do just this problem your having and turned out to be the evaporator fan motor in freezer failing at odd times. By switching fridge off/on resets Pcb untill fault reappears. As tonto says... have to get tech who knows what he is doing to trace problem.. Mike.

John11
02-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I see. I thought it would have to come to an engineer but was hoping it would be more simple (and cheaper :p) than that.

It's stopping with more frequency now, neither the fridge or freezer gets to the right temp before it stops. When it does stop, the lights are still on, appearing normal, maybe its the thermostat or something? :(

John11
02-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Oh and it's not a side/side unit. Fridge is top, freezer bottom.

mikeref
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I see. I thought it would have to come to an engineer but was hoping it would be more simple (and cheaper :p) than that.

It's stopping with more frequency now, neither the fridge or freezer gets to the right temp before it stops. When it does stop, the lights are still on, appearing normal, maybe its the thermostat or something? :(
Is it a freezer one side, fridge the other?

happy
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
check defrost heater resistance

John11
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Bizarrely the fridge/freezer seems to work better late at night until the morning. Sometimes it stays on too long and the fridge gets too cool.

It's frustrating haha.

John11
20-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Still having problems with it. It just stops cooling sometimes, it eventually will come back on but only when the fridge gets close to room temp so it's better/quicker to manually turn the fridge on/off.