PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman BC30 R22 ice maker

tudorice
30-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi wonder if anyone can help me.
I have a scotsman BC30 ASC 0600 icemaker
The water pump bearings had seized so i changed them put it back together, ran the machine. It makes ice in the evaporator but at the end of the freeze cycle just before it wants to go to harvest it stops and the alarm light goes on. Does anyone know what this alarm light is for? Secondly is there any service manuals or the like for this thing. Its a r22 system. I have downloaded the BC30 r134a manual. Coz another thing i see is that the head pressure gets really high (as high at 25 bar) whilst the suction is at around 2.8 bar. ambient air temp was 27c and bin temp was 12c. is this right

tudorice
30-12-2010, 10:23 PM
another thing, i ran it overnite, it filled the bin by the next morning, then when the day got hotter it flashed the alarm light

tudorice
31-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I have an ice maker that keeps tripping on an alarm which i have no clue what the alarm is for. I repaired the water pump bearings, ran the machine and at the end of the freeze cycle it goes off on this alarm. I thought that maybe it was a blockage in the system, disconnected the various parts of the system and purged those lines with vapor and there wasnt any blockages. I then cleaned the condenser coil coz it was blocked but that didnt drop the head pressure by much (head pressure of 28 bar, suction of 2.8 bar). Both head and suction pressures drop a bit towards the end of the cycle as normal. Its an R22 system. Ambient air temp is 27 deg c. It makes the ice just doesnt wanna drop it. I replaced the hot gas solenoid as well but doesnt solve the problem. Pleeez help me.

paulofpings
31-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Does the hot gas valve not actuate then ? I am guessing if you have no rise in suction pressure at end of cycle the answer is not, this could be a problem with the control unit or the evap sensor not sensing the correct temperature ? what alarm do you get? light flashing sequence etc?

tudorice
31-12-2010, 04:52 PM
the unit starts its cycle on the harvest cycle, hear the hot gas valve open and suction pressure rises. The water inlet valve opens allows water to run over the top of the evap coil,does this for about 3.5 mins, then clicks over for freezing which runs for approximately 25 - 30 mins, at the end of the freeze cycle it stops, pressures equalize and its a constant red light labelled in bloody itallian allarme

nike123
01-01-2011, 08:37 AM
There are more than one red LED light inside unit. Which one is lighting? Is it second from top?
If it is, your time T1 + T2 is too long.
T1 - The time elapsed since the beginning of
freezing cycle up to when the evaporator
reaches the temperature of 0°C (35°F).
T2 - The time required for the evaporator to
fall from 0°C (35°F) to -13°C (8.5°F) or to -
16°C (3°F).

Clean/check condenser and make sure that ambient temperature is between 10°C and 40°C. Check refrigerant amount.
Isn't that model should be on R134A refrigerant? What is written on nameplate?

tonyelian
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
hi
take off the front panel in your left hand there is a chart of diagnostic.but i assume its the control unit try to clean the evaporator sensor &adjust it for 3 mm first

DrFreezeMD
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Not familiar with this Scotsman Model #. I looked on Scotsman Website USA and could not find Model B30. Anyway a freeze time of 25-30 Minutes sounds excessive and the Alarm that you are receiving could be for excessive freeze time. Check your Bridge thickness between the ice. Excessive bridge thickness and the Ice Slab may not release from the plate. Another alarm that you could be receiving is that the control board does not sense ice drop when it expects to. I know that Scotsman in the USA use Infrared Eyes to sense this. Also make sure Superheat is not so low that the compressor body is forming ice. A problem like this and you will not build up enough heat for harvest time to release the ice slab.

DrFreezeMD
01-01-2011, 07:16 PM
For Scotsman Ice Machines I haven't seen a R-22 model. But then I'm in the USA. Some folks on this forum are mentioning the R-134A model. If the Refrigerant is right (R-22) go back to basics and check your subcooling and Superheat and weigh in the charge according to data plate. Also be mindful of compressor RLA or FLA.

tudorice
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Ive checked the name plate and its saying it was originally sold as a R22 system, however on the service manuals i have found for this system it mentions a R134a system. There is no ice thickness sensor from what i can see. It does however use a bank of dipswitches from which i gather control the various freezing time and sensors. The dip switches are set according to the factory settings. There is a evap sensor and bin sensor. The alarm light goes on. Theres the compressor light at the top, then the 0 deg c light, then the -13/16 light, then theres another light and then the alarm light, which doesnt blink, its just a continious glow. If anyone knows where i can get the R22 service manual, so that i can compare what the system is doing with what it is meant to do. To me it seems as tho the head pressure is very high, even tho there is no blockage and the condenser is spotless.