PDA

View Full Version : UL listing for Air Terminal Units

Abdullah1986
29-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Dear All,

Kindly advice weather UL listing is necessary for Air terminal Units. From what I know, the insulation needs to be UL 181 compliant but some clients require the ATU to be UL compliant as a whole package. To me, this makes sense only when the ATU has a built in electric heater. Please advice.

Thank you

Brian_UK
29-12-2010, 08:18 PM
The specification as written can ask for whatever the client wants.

UL181 to me means Factory produced, is this the same with you?

chilliwilly
29-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I thought that UL and NEEMA standards only had juristiction in the U.S. and Canada.

Abdullah1986
30-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Well the client is asking for UL listing as a whole package. And yes, UL 181 refers to factory produced material but in this specific case, the Unit that we are proposing is UL 181 compliant only for the insulation which is a fire rated item. The unit itself does not require UL listing I think but the electric heater might (ie if there is an electric heater built in).
And yes, UL and NEEMA does apply here, MET however is applied and recognized only in USA and Canada.

chilliwilly
30-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Well you live and learn, I had no idea that North American standards existed outside North America. Is it a standard installation job for a Saudi National customer, or for an American National customer.

I'm just curious, as I've worked on military bases here in the UK where the personnel are American Nationals. And have some North American style socket outlets installed in their living quarters with 120v/60 hz supplies, converted from the 230v supply, along with BS 1363 13 amp socket outlets with 230v/50hz supplies. The specification for the socket outlets was taken from the NEC, nema, and UL, but the fixed wiring colours and conductor sizes were in compliance with british wiring regulations.

Toosh
31-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Dear All,

Kindly advice weather UL listing is necessary for Air terminal Units. From what I know, the insulation needs to be UL 181 compliant but some clients require the ATU to be UL compliant as a whole package. To me, this makes sense only when the ATU has a built in electric heater. Please advice.

Thank you
Hi would your client be Saudi Aramco

Abdullah1986
01-01-2011, 08:11 AM
@ Chilliwilly, well, the reason we have these standards here is that the Client is a government town planning body but the consultant is Bechtel, so all standards set are North American. And this is common here as well, the product standards are American but installation standards are a mix of American and SASO (a local Saudi body). I think thats to maintain common maintenance standards for the future. @ Toosh, no our client is not Saudi Aramco, its the Royal Commission...They're equally particular about their standards..... Have you worked in Saudi Arabia???AND AGAIN, does anyone here have any idea weather the UL listing is necessary for Air Terminal Units

Toosh
01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
@ Chilliwilly, well, the reason we have these standards here is that the Client is a government town planning body but the consultant is Bechtel, so all standards set are North American. And this is common here as well, the product standards are American but installation standards are a mix of American and SASO (a local Saudi body). I think thats to maintain common maintenance standards for the future. @ Toosh, no our client is not Saudi Aramco, its the Royal Commission...They're equally particular about their standards..... Have you worked in Saudi Arabia???AND AGAIN, does anyone here have any idea weather the UL listing is necessary for Air Terminal Units

Yes I worked for Carrier then Aramco looking after Centrifugal Chillers

Abdullah1986
04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
oh when was it that you were in Saudi Arabia...Were you in the Eastern province?? I work with carrier on a regular basis myself.....

Toosh
04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Abdullah1986;215880]oh when was it that you were in Saudi Arabia...Were you in the Eastern province?? I work with carrier on a regular basis myself.....[/QUOT

Yes I was in 1978, I commisioned 10 Carrier 19 Fa`s In Aramco Dhahran and Rastanura then they poached me fro Carrier