PDA

View Full Version : window air condition and filter drier

herb71
29-12-2010, 12:04 AM
quick question today at school while take window AC apart i notice they do not carry filter drier. can someone tell me why

mikeref
29-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi there herb71. window a/c's are considered contaminant free when assembled, but there is usually a strainer on condenser outlet. Filter drier adds another cost to purchase price.. Mike.

DTLarca
29-12-2010, 01:38 AM
quick question today at school while take window AC apart i notice they do not carry filter drier. can someone tell me why

It's a cap-tube system - critical charge - pressures equalise during the off-cycle. Adding a filter drier, larger than a pencil drier, to the unit, would require additional refrigerant charge and thus cause repeated flood-backs at each start sequence. If you added a drier you would also have to add an accumulator or install a larger accumulator.

cool runings
29-12-2010, 01:52 AM
It's a cap-tube system - critical charge - pressures equalise during the off-cycle. Adding a filter drier, larger than a pencil drier, to the unit, would require additional refrigerant charge and thus cause repeated flood-backs at each start sequence. If you added a drier you would also have to add an accumulator or install a larger accumulator.

Why??

Why would a dryer cause repeated flood backs on start up?

Do you mean when the system is shut down the liquid will equalise in pressure?

If that is the case all cap-tube systems should be the same and they are not.

If the manufacturer sends a commercial fridge out without an accumulator why should an air cond manufacturer?

coolrunnings

DTLarca
29-12-2010, 02:35 AM
If the manufacturer sends a commercial fridge out without an accumulator why should an air cond manufacturer?

An accumulator always lets through some liquid on start-up if it happens to have any liquid at all in it to begin with. This is the quantity that fills the suction U-Tube, during the off cycle, via the oil recovery orifice. The effect is worst when there is either a long enough period permitting migration or when cycling also means de-energising the 4-way valve pilot solenoid.