PDA

View Full Version : Liebherr Freezer

Sparks001
28-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi,

I wonder if someone may be able to give me some pointers here?

I have a Liebherr upright freezer, GN 3356
service number 9987654-00

It is about 6 years old

About 4-5 months ago, the temperature rose from the normal -18 to about -10 and it sounded it's alarm - the door was fully closed, so I emptied it and manually defrosted it for a couple of hours (It is a frost free freezer, so there wasn't any visible ice build-up, and not a lot of water came out)

It then seemed happy until today, when it has done the same.

The gas is R600a

The thin pipe that comes out of the compressor (the black one to the right of the compressor in the attached image) is pretty hot, this then runs up and down the back, (I assume to cool the liquid inside it?), however, the pipe is only hot for about 30cm, I would have expect it to be hot where it starts. an then be cooler where it enters the freezer...

The compressor is buzzing away, and is quite hot - would this be a symptom of being low on refrigerant?

Thanks!

spimps
28-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes,often accompanied with noisey gurgling.
Engineer needed to check refrigerant, find leak,repair and regas if necessary.
Not easy to find on r600a and repair,could be beyond eco repair.

Sparks001
29-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the quick reply - is there a resource on here to find an engineer in my local area (UK, Orpington, Kent) or will it be pick someone at random in the yellow pages?

tonto33
29-12-2010, 10:26 AM
for local engineer try >>> www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk (http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk) the repairs @ section

Sparks001
29-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for that.

I have had another look at it today, after it has been off and open all night - if I fool it into thinking the door is shut, with a magnet, and then power it on, after a few minutes the fan inside came on, but was really noisy - if I push up in the middle of the unit at the top (where the evaporator is) this stops, so I guess this all could be down to the fan being jammed?

If I hold the super frost button down, i seem to get into some kind of menu - first stage seems to be either h or c, then there are numbers - is there anyone with a service manual who may be able to tell me what can be done in these menus (or ideally send me a copy!)? - I would like to be able to run a the fan without the compressor, and also run the defrost heater for a while, so see if I can get anymore water out of it.

Taking it apart seems difficult, I can’t see how to get inside the top part without breaking something!

Racing Snake
08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Sparks
You will probably find there is a problem with the fan motor jamming due to bearings giving up and fan impellor hitting the polysterene housing surrounding it,if you have a look at the fan motor it is contained in a white plastic housing,if it is I would change the motor as it has been modified.

Cheers