PDA

View Full Version : Cold Control not working

Arizona Terry
25-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Good Morning and Merry Christmas!! I hope this is the right forum for help with an answer for my problem.
I have a Frigidaire upright freezer model # PLFU1778ES4.
I have checked the defrost timer and it is working.

My problem is that I have to keep the Cold Control set at about 1/2 on the dial to maintain 0 degrees. It will then start short cycling of about 40 seconds on and 40 seconds off. I put a new cold control in yesterday and the dial still has to be set at about 1/2 on a dial that goes up to 7. I set it on 2 and it ran all night and this morning it was -10 below zero. I have tried to reset and control it today several times, and it seems no matter how low I set it, it will start. Please give me some ideas of what to look at now. Thanks Terry

sedgy
25-12-2010, 06:34 PM
hi terry,
you say you fitted a new cold control? is that a new thermostat?

Arizona Terry
25-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Good Morning, Yes it is the T-stat that controls the compressor. Thanks

PRESS
25-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi

Merry christmas to you. I am not familiar with the exact model you mensioned here. However I am more than confidant I can help you out with ideas if you tell me which type of thermostat between digital and analogue you are dealing with.

Arizona Terry
25-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Hello Press, It is a Analog twist dial on the cold control. I am guessing that is also the thermostat for this freezer. I have it set at about 1/2 on the dial and it is still doing the same thing as it was before I changed the cold control. Thanks

PRESS
25-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Arizona Terry

Judging from the 40 sec short cycles you mensioned at the begining of the thread do not ignore your thermal over load (clixon) however if nothing is wrong with it, I would like to think that your thermostat is faulty. However before you make any conclusions to this effect I advise you to by-pass the thermostat and check if the unit achieve the desired lowest temperature.