PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Thermal imaging

buddy
21-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Dear All,

I am considering using Infrared thermal imaging (Thermography) in my Consultancy work.

Before i make a commitment (as the handheld cameras are very expensive) I wish to request RE members in sharing your experience of any benefits or pitfalls in using infrared imaging?

And also can you share any good infrared images especially of Cold-rooms and Supermarket Refrigeration systems to see the results.

best regards

Tesla
21-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi buddy
Earlier this year I checked out the new Fluke and Testo cameras which were really cool but thousands of dollars. I have used them mainly on mechanical switch boards where they have saved thousands in damaged equipment and downtime. I don't have any images but would like to see if they would be good at picking up air flows or are they just good for hot and cold spots. I find the IR gun very fast for quick checks.

750 Valve
21-12-2010, 10:20 AM
My company has several and I was using one recently to look at multideck meat cases and there product temps - I am a big fan and was quite impressed how much it helped to pinpoint issues within the cases and highlight warmer stock. Its a great tool to use in combination with a smoke test.

It was easy to see cold spots in pre-insulated pipe where the foaming process has been inadequate, so too old coolrooms and cases with moisture laden insulation. Air leaks can be seen on Freeezer doors and poorly installed door and frame heaters too, not to mention the electrical uses!

chemi-cool
21-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Funny you mentioned it now. I just spent 6000€ on a Flir thermal imaging camera. [it will take a few weeks for it to come]
I intend to use it in refrigeration, electrical boards,leaking pipes in walls and floors, compressed air leaking in factories, etc. etc.

Apart from the high price of the camera, it is a very useful tool in most of the industries.

When tested it with a technical person from Flir, I could spot in seconds partially clogged drier, leaking suction valve and over heated ball bearing in a condenser fan. all of this while the system was running.

Hope to post here pictures once I get it.

Brian_UK
21-12-2010, 05:33 PM
If you Google Images for Thermal Imaging Pictures you can see a vast range of results.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1584&bih=664&q=thermal+imaging+pictures&gbv=2&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=thermal+imaging&gs_rfai=

buddy
22-12-2010, 02:30 AM
If you Google Images for Thermal Imaging Pictures you can see a vast range of results.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1584&bih=664&q=thermal+imaging+pictures&gbv=2&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=thermal+imaging&gs_rfai=

Thanks Brian UK for the link but i was specifically looking for thermal images of refrigeration systems.

e.g Supermarket display cabinets, thermal insulation breakdown on pipework, blocked driers, compressors, refrigerant leaks, Cold-rooms etc etc.

Anybody got any images to share on these topics?

best regards

Brian_UK
22-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Picture of a cold room door...

http://www.tisthermalimaging.co.uk/cool_room.html

Also a slide show of various images, door seals, compressors, electrical etc

I put the slide show on a 3 seconds speed and clicked on pause when needed. Also click on show details; select the image size that you want also.

http://www.stocktoninfrared.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=876

Magoo
23-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Cannot convince the Minister of Finance [ the wife ] to let me get one. She says I will be checking all the local ladies for hot spots.

750 Valve
23-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Cannot convince the Minister of Finance [ the wife ] to let me get one. She says I will be checking all the local ladies for hot spots.

And it works too - the boss and I spent a good 10 mins scanning customers as they walked by in a supermarket... :D

chilliwilly
16-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi buddy
Earlier this year I checked out the new Fluke and Testo cameras which were really cool but thousands of dollars. I have used them mainly on mechanical switch boards where they have saved thousands in damaged equipment and downtime. I don't have any images but would like to see if they would be good at picking up air flows or are they just good for hot and cold spots. I find the IR gun very fast for quick checks.

Unfortunately infrared detection equipment won't see the temperature of air. It can only see the infrared energy emmited from tangable matter, ie a body or an object. If it could see the air, you wouldn't be able to see any objects or bodies as the air would blind the energy emmitted from the objects or bodies. Similar to a thick foggy day, giving poor visibility. You'll have to stick to measuring airflow and temperature until they come up with a suitable additive that makes the air infrared visible.

Onced used a prototype infrared imaging camera on a periodic inspection a few years ago. And found some interesting results buried in the fabric of the building and containment systems. An exellent product if you have the work and you can justify the expense. I suppose if you wait a couple of more years, the technology will come down to a more affordable price.

Tesla
16-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the insight chilliwilly.
So back to buddy - what's the biggest bang for our buck on this technology? Could we have some comparison (including total unit costs) on performance. We have come a long way from the first units I've seen carried on a sack barrow to little hand held units. At the moment there is a growing interest for company purchase and soon we technicians will be carrying them in our tool bags.

buddy
27-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the insight chilliwilly.
So back to buddy - what's the biggest bang for our buck on this technology? Could we have some comparison (including total unit costs) on performance. We have come a long way from the first units I've seen carried on a sack barrow to little hand held units. At the moment there is a growing interest for company purchase and soon we technicians will be carrying them in our tool bags.

Pricing can be through the roof for some of these IR Cameras, literally tens of thousands of dollars, so it depends on your application.

www.flir.com seem competitively priced for hand held units.

Bigfreeze
27-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Pricing can be through the roof for some of these IR Cameras, literally tens of thousands of dollars, so it depends on your application.

www.flir.com seem competitively priced for hand held units.

Had an Flir i5 for a week. It did the job I wanted it for but the clarity was pretty poor. You'd really need to be going 4k and upwards to even consider one of these imo. Testo do the 881-3 which looks pretty good. Flir has the B60, for around this price too.
One of the posters on here, The Wombat, has a Flir T400 and the quality of his pics are great, but thats an expensive bit of kit.