PDA

View Full Version : Brazing copper to steel accumalator ??

garytreez
20-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Mitsibushi PU-P1.6VGAA . I was called out to this unit fault today and dignosed a couple of pinhole leaks on top of the accumalator between the factory soldered joint and the accumalator body. I have tried to braze using silver solder and flux but holes keep reappearing. Am i wasting my time trying to braze steel & copper ? or is there another fix. Replacing the accumalator looks like a major pain. :confused:

chemi-cool
20-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Clean the area to brazed really good, make sure no pressure inside, use 40% silver rods, don't over heat the steel part, it should hardly be orange , it should go nice and easy.

james10
20-12-2010, 06:48 PM
If you are really struggling you can pull a slight vac on the unit but be aware that this will pull air into the system and will need a good deep vac pulling before you recharge

chemi-cool
20-12-2010, 07:39 PM
If you are really struggling you can pull a slight vac on the unit but be aware that this will pull air into the system and will need a good deep vac pulling before you recharge

Not good practice especially if the oil is POE.

garytreez
20-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks all, thats helpful. i was using 5% silver rods today.

Magoo
20-12-2010, 10:52 PM
File out the pin holes to remove the impurity and use 40% easiflo rod and flux.

mad fridgie
21-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I normally start buy burning of the paint (not to much heat) wire wool the area, then wipe down with a damp cloth (water or a solvent) Nice and clean.
I do not on the first instance go directly for the penetration, I "tin" some solder around the area (like a polo) again do not apply to much heat to one area. I then built up the solder from the tinned area to the place of penetration. i find that this does help with the flux penetration and adds extra stenght to the whole joint. (PS I do lke a shoulder of solder as well)
Trick not a hot flame, but a bigger flame covering a greater area

paul_h
21-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks all, thats helpful. i was using 5% silver rods today.
That would be why then.
If you like punishment, you can get away with 15%. But if you want it done easy, use 45%.
Also clean well, removing any oil and paint/ tarnish and rust, sanding back until the copper and steel are shiney.

Quality
21-12-2010, 06:21 AM
As chemi said 40% rods and not to hot

james10
21-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Not good practice especially if the oil is POE.
No not good practice thats why i said "if you are REALLY struggling" and pointed out that the system would need a good vac , and your right i should have suggested if this was done then an oil change would be a good idea.