PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate the COP of chiller

hafiz1985
20-12-2010, 08:46 AM
how can I calculate the value of COP for chiller?I have the data of chiller RT, ice cell & building RT, power consumption for chiller, ice cell tonnage and total kilowatt..but I dont know which one I need to take to make the ratio, between the cooling capacity in RT to the energy consumed by the whole chiller in KW..please anybody help me..

RatsPom
20-12-2010, 06:48 PM
isn't the formula for: - COP = RE/CWD

refrigerating effect/compressor work down

You may need an enthalpy chart to calculate or am I missing something

cool runings
20-12-2010, 07:53 PM
how can I calculate the value of COP for chiller?I have the data of chiller RT, ice cell & building RT, power consumption for chiller, ice cell tonnage and total kilowatt..but I dont know which one I need to take to make the ratio, between the cooling capacity in RT to the energy consumed by the whole chiller in KW..please anybody help me..

COP is a theoretical calculation using Ph charts and needs specific information to work it out.

You need to know evap and discharge pressures (temps) and include superheat from evap and subcooling from cond.
You then plot all the info on a Ph chart (correct refrigerant) and the COP can be worked out by dividing the
RE (Refrigeration Effect (duty over the evap) ) by the WD (Work Done (energy imparted by the compression process) ).

Give us the refigerant, discharge and suction pressures, include superheat and subcooling and I (we) will show you how.

All the best

coolrunnings

DTLarca
20-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking for?

It sounds like you have ice storage?

I have attached a little spreadsheet I use for comparing between chillers when I am consulting or when I am selecting for my own projects.