PDA

View Full Version : Ranco thermostats and ice machines

Andy W
04-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I need a thermostat for an ice machine. The machine was supplied by a discount catering supplier who supplies internet only, the machine in question is a easyice / Carotti ice CB 18 A. After speaking to the company they cannot supply me until September and they want £35.00 trade for a stat. After laughing at the price we chatted and he told me the machines are built alongside the Brema ice machines. Now my question, there are hundreds of cheapo ice machines on the market now many of them the same but all badged up different such as Simag, Ice Mountain, Ice Princess, Blizzard there are loads. All these machines work on the old fashioned evaporator and mechanical timer principle with no electronics at all, so I would like to know if anyone can identify a Ranco K59 P6839 thermostat, it has three terminals and like I said is mounted on the the evaporator. I have noticed that the old fashioned Scotsman ACM 35 used a three terminal Ranco stat but what model. Has anyone else come across these ice machine timer problems, if so please share. Sorry if the post is long winded.

chemi-cool
04-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Andy,
Try this link,

http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture98/yuyaomingt/product1.html

Chemi:)

Latte
04-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Try Ice machines UK - www.icemachines.co.uk
01483 205749 Sounds very much like the stat they fit on whirlpool ice machines.

If no luck there phone Hubbard ice (Scotsman) www.hubbard.co.uk 01473 890129

Both have very good technical guys and i am sure one of them will be able to help

Regards

Fatboy

Andy W
04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
I contacted SRW enquiring about the model number of the 3 terminal Scotsman stat, they in turn contacted Ranco who advised them that a VT9 (fridge freezer stat) will do the same job. I buy VT9's very cheap so worth me trying one while I have the machine in the workshop for repairs then I can run test it at my leisure, should be interesting and I will report back my findings. I personally would of thought a +3.5 cut in would would cut the machine back in after a hot gas prematurely, could be wrong.

chillin out
04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I personally would of thought a +3.5 cut in would would cut the machine back in after a hot gas prematurely, could be wrong.
Doesn`t it run off a timer for the defrost anyway?

Andy W
04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Doesn`t it run off a timer for the defrost anyway?Yes................you are right, unlike the K20 that "terminates" on temperature. I shall try a VT9 tomorrow anyway.

Andy W
05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Right the latest if anyone is interested, a VT9 will not do the job, I did have my doubts when Ranco said it will do it but there you go. I even removed the terminal block from the old stat to fit to the body of the new VT9 just to try it but still did not operate properly. The machine is wired so the compressor runs all the time, the stat obviously has a common live to it but the stat does nothing what so ever until the evaporator is down to temperature. Once down to temp the stat activates the timer, the timer revolves until it reaches it cam cut outs, once cut outs are reached the hot gas and water fill solenoids are energised and the timer is now static as the power supply to the timer motor has now been removed, once the evap is warm and up to temperature and the ice has dropped, the stat terminates and powers up the timer motor which now continues to run the cams through the cut outs and once the cut outs are passed, the cam motor stops and the freeze cycle begins yet again. So basically the VT9 terminates too soon before the ice can be loosened from the moulds, even with the old terminal block from the old stat it will still terminate too soon so it is in fact the charge / bellows of the capillary arrangement that is the problem with the VT9. Next I shall try a RAN 29 hot gas stat, if any one is interested I will post my findings.

Temprite
05-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello Andy.

I know anyone in their right mind wouldnt bother doing this but I wonder if you changed the adjustment screws on the VT9, you could get the range correct.
(You know the ones they tell you never to touch:D )
Did it once I think the recessed screw lowered the cutout temp.

Andy W
05-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes I know the screw, in the past I have adjusted them but the last thing that I want is recalls back to site for fine tweaking etc. The machine is at the moment on test in the workshop with a RAN 29 fitted to it, I knew by the amount of ice machines that I repair that sooner or later these unknown brands of machine would find me and sourcing parts would be a task. How many machines have you seen that look identical but have different badges on them, my machine in question is a easy-ice built on the same production line as the Brema and Trimco also sell an identical version badged up Trimco, you can't win!

chillin out
05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
This might sound really botch but..

Why don`t you fit a delay timer after the stat?.
So that when the stat makes again it is delayed for, say mabe one or two minutes before the defrost timer starts up again.
:D :) :D

Andy W
05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
This might sound really botch but..

Why don`t you fit a delay timer after the stat?.
So that when the stat makes again it is delayed for, say mabe one or two minutes before the defrost timer starts up again.
:D :) :DGood idea but a timer would cost more than a stat! One of the purposes of this exercise is to try and work out a universal thermostat to replace the hundreds of oddball stats on like I said these newly imported ice machines that we can not identify the original manufacturer or supplier, I am coming across it more and more, even other local refrgeration & catering companies ring me to ask me if I know where to get parts for oddball makes because I have been in the trade for 27 years people think that I have the answer for everything.......I wish!

chillin out
05-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok what about a VX0 then ?
I seem to remember it having a higher cut in.

Andy W
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM
RESULT................RAN 29 set half way works absolutely perfect, just been to check it in the workshop and we have ice, if set at full the evap freezes up and starves the machine of water, half way is just fine, so guess what spare part I am going to add to my van stock? Incidentally I shall leave it on test over night and report back my findings tomorrow.

jan behnke
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi try this they inport brema ice makers and supply parts, i had to fitt one two weeks ago, they only supply one stat for the whole range, you just adjust it to the maker, instructions supplied
http://www.frialator.co.uk/index.php

Andy W
06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi try this they inport brema ice makers and supply parts, i had to fitt one two weeks ago, they only supply one stat for the whole range, you just adjust it to the maker, instructions supplied
http://www.frialator.co.uk/index.phpI have made a note of it in my favourites for things like timers for a future reference. The RAN 29 stat is working just perfect, the bin filled over night and cut out on bin stat, I have removed the ice this morning and it is churning it out just fine. The RAN 29 cost me £10.25 + VAT from CARS (UK) Ltd in Stoke on Trent who I buy most of my bits from, they also do mail order nationwide and are a great company to deal with.

How about a section on ice machines on the forum because as I said before the amount of different makes that I am coming across now is astonishing but many are the same basic machine, it is just a matter of knowing and sharing the information on what fits what and where from, just a thought.

Temprite
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Andy.

I have never heard of a RAN 29.

What is it's normal application?

Andy W
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Andy.

I have never heard of a RAN 29.

What is it's normal application?RAN 29, 2 TEMPERATURE CABINET WITH SOLENOID VALVE/CAPILLARY HEATER ELECTROLUX _ 1056, TRICITY _ D9306, COMET _ 39885.33966 The other oddball RAN's are RAN 54, FREEZER GERMAN MADE UNITS, RAN 61, FRIDGE FREEZER 2 DOOR WITH HEAT ASSISTED DEFROST, RAN59 FITS CANDY, RAN 100, FRIDGE/FREEZERS 'AUTO DEFROST' (VT9 with no accessories) Have a look on the Qualtex website, quite a few stats on there.

http://www.qualtexuk.com/cgi-bin/refrigeration.html

bldref
10-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I have carried out this fitment a few times on varios makes as Stated by others a Ran 29 hot gas will definately do the job .
Regards Barrie.

steptoe111
23-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi Andy, I have the same problem with a Carotti CB30A. Same model thermostat. Not familia with the RAN29 Thermostat, is this a Ranco product? I am in Australia so cannot contact your noted supplier.

paul_h
23-02-2008, 10:27 AM
If it's the same as BREMA, have you tried actrol for a brema thermostat?

chillin out
24-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Erm..... this thread is nearly 3 years old.
I think it's time to let it sleep....lol

Chillin:):)

Andy W
24-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Yes it is a Ranco standard thermostat as used in fridge freezers with assisted hot gas defrost, the Danfoss equivalent should do exactly the same job as well.

Andy W
24-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Erm..... this thread is nearly 3 years old.
I think it's time to let it sleep....lol

Chillin:):)Valid point but with technical info it can never be out of date.:D

steptoe111
24-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Many thanks blokes for the assistance. Will speak to Actrol today. I know they have 1 Brema themostat in stock, but I very much doubt they will have any knowledge of the RAN29. Cheers

paul_h
24-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I searched for this ran29 t/stat too, as I work on a lot of brema ice machines. The only useful google search for that part brings up this page :p , and searching for ranco t/stats at invensis doesn't bring up that model. I toured around the UK link given and it seems they don't list it anymore publicly (need an account), so sorry I couldn't help more.

also chillin out, ths was a legitmate bump talking about a similar problem, and I was just replying to steptoe as I wanted the info too but couldn't find it.
I don't see the problem with bumping a thread if the original poster is still active and can help us, after all, isn't that the purpose of the forum?
It's not like either of us was bringing a dead thread back to life with a response to the OP to put two cents in, he was asking for more info as it's hard to find, also because this page would be the only resource on the RAN 29 you'd find, so it's not like you will find easier options.

edit:
Thanks for the info Andy W, do you have any current links to the thermostat?
As steptoe and I said, actrol is the usual supplier to brema, and they don't exactly keep lots of parts in stock.

Andy W
24-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I have just searched for info for the RAN 29, not a lot about, only listing I found was from the place where I buy them from http://www.carsrefrigeration.co.uk/table.asp?product_table_id=30 tomorrow if I remember I will dig one out of the van and look for any reference numbers and try and match them for the series.

lowcool
25-02-2008, 08:06 AM
thanks for getting it out of hibernation,looking forward to what you come back with.cheers

tonyelian
25-02-2008, 09:13 PM
hi
u have to fit the original one cause there is a wide differential between no&nc
my opinion u can fit 2 prodigy thermostat they are cheap&range btw -30 to+30 u can adjust it at-12 for freezing &the second one +8 to 10 that what i did with sch problem

Andy W
26-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Ok, I have spoke to my supplier as well as checking my own scribble notes regarding ice machines with stats and mechanical timers.

Depending on the terminal numbers on the original stat a RAN29 can be used or a VTD9 but like I said the terminal numbers have to be checked first and this is what determines which one to choose.

The RAN29 was apparently built for Tricity fridge freezers and is usually bagged up in a Qualtex bag, the difference between a RAN29 and a VTD9 is although both are for fridge freezers with assisted defrost one makes on rise the other breaks on rise cant remember the exact ins and outs now, seem to to remember that one of them operated a solenoid on the capillary line.

If I find out more info in the mean time I will post it.

Andy

steptoe111
26-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Have contacted carotti and been advised that they have an agent in Sydney. Thermostats are in stock at $A160.00 Thats GBP66.6 to most of you blokes!! Still in shock.......That Brema stat is looking good Cheers

all seasons ref
28-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Hello Everyone.
I have recently looked into a universal thermostat for ice machines after reading all the threads and by looking through the internet, the K22 stat has one specifically designed for ice machines may fit the bill. See link below. It says the cold out temp is -15C but warm in is -1C which may be too cold??. The ice machine i have recently looked at had a Ranco K22 1074 fitted. I think the 10 relates to 10F (-12C) and the 74 relates to 74F (23C). Could be wrong. The one i purchased from Newscan was code K22 1082 (cut in 28C) again i could be barking up the wrong tree.
See invensys webpage (link below)
eliwell.it
I cannot send the full link because the forum wont let me because i havent made 15 posts
Failing that, the Newscan Part No N23591 may work. It sell for to traders for around £15 and there is a P & P charge of about £12.00.
I didn't need to fit it to the machine i went to look at. The water inlet valve was not letting enough water in to assist melt the ice cubes, so i replaced the inlet valve. I have a good trick with those aswell if anyone is interested?
You must admit, ice machine can be a real pain. Sometimes the cost to repair can outway the cost of a new machine, especially when there now selling for around £300.
Good look engineers, its not an easy job!

all seasons ref
28-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Sorry, i forgot to say the ranco K221074 & K221082 thermostats i have talked about relate to ice machines will cam timers. The thermostat senses say -12 deg.C which then initiated the cam timer for approx 12 minutes. Then the hot gas and water inlet valve operate which dispenses the ice.
Some machines dont use a cam timer and just use the ice stat to initiate and de-activate hot gas (like the whirlpool K20 & K40 machines). i think the whirlpools are great. Spares readily available & very simple operation. They dont slime up like spray mechanism machines and are easy to service. Its a pity they only manufacture the 20kg & 40kg. I would like to see a bigger version. K20 & k40 great for standard size pub trade though and probable what they have aimed the market at.

jwservices
16-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Just supplyed a brand new k40 to a pub and it is very slow at making ice only half a bin in 24 hours can anyone help. Thanks phil

milkoice
31-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Hay,
The thermostat for the ice of Carroti and Brema icemachines is Ranco K-61 .Here in Bulgaria I can get it for 20 euro even less ,change it and all is OK.Only K-61 an do the job.