PDA

View Full Version : 110v 60hz fridge freezer runnin on 110v 50hz

helpneeded552
18-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi, can anyone please help me. i have recently moved to Barbados and have problems with the fridge freezer that was supplied with the apartment. The fridge was supplied in u.s.a so is a 110v 60z appliance but the power supply in Barbados is 110v 50hz. The fridge freezer is very temperamental . most of the time it runs fine but every 2-3 days the temeprature on the fridge and freezer starts to go up by 4-5 degrees on the fridge and 6-9 degrees on the freezer. this lasts for 4-5 hours before cooling back down to the correct set temperatures. it is totally random anfd can happen day or night at any time.
what really confuses us it that a couple of other people in the same block have the same problem but most of the people dont have this problem.
we have had various local fridge engineers around to look at the fridge and have tried both increasing and decreasing the voltage but neither of these have helped.
can anyone please suggest anything that may help us solve this problem. it is driving me mad :(
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks simon

sedgy
18-12-2010, 01:39 PM
hi simon ,
if the f/freezer was part of the deal with the appartment the problem is with the supplyers of the apartment not yours, have you told them about your problem? sedgy ,

helpneeded552
18-12-2010, 02:21 PM
thanks for the quick response. The suppliers have not been able to rectify the problem and have no idea what is wrong. I dont think they have the "know how" to solve the problem, so i was hoping someone on the forum could suggest a solution which i could then ask them to try.... Its been going on for 2 years now so i need outside help as they are unable to fix.

DTLarca
18-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi, can anyone please help me. i have recently moved to Barbados and have problems with the fridge freezer that was supplied with the apartment. The fridge was supplied in u.s.a so is a 110v 60z appliance but the power supply in Barbados is 110v 50hz. The fridge freezer is very temperamental . most of the time it runs fine but every 2-3 days the temeprature on the fridge and freezer starts to go up by 4-5 degrees on the fridge and 6-9 degrees on the freezer. this lasts for 4-5 hours before cooling back down to the correct set temperatures. it is totally random anfd can happen day or night at any time.
what really confuses us it that a couple of other people in the same block have the same problem but most of the people dont have this problem.
we have had various local fridge engineers around to look at the fridge and have tried both increasing and decreasing the voltage but neither of these have helped.
can anyone please suggest anything that may help us solve this problem. it is driving me mad :(
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks simon

You need to drop the voltage down to about 50/60 x 110 = 91.6V otherwise the amps are going to be 20% higher causing a 44% increase in motor heat for the condition capabilities of the refrigerant mass flow. In the mean time that new capacity will be a little higher than 83%.

So you need the Hz increased to get the cooling capacity back up from 83% and in the mean time your compressor would also possibly cycle often on (thermal) clixon.

You're in a bad place :(

mad fridgie
18-12-2010, 10:37 PM
catching the fault, is likely to be hard!
But it does indicate an overheat problem. Without knowing all your details of the F/F, i would suggest that you install a plug in timer (keeping it simple) and turn of the F/F for a good couple of hours in the middle of the night. This should reduce the build up of residual heat within the compressor. With no use the temp should not change a great deal with all the doors closed.
Or you could add a small cooling fan to your compressor, running permently

helpneeded552
22-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Many thanks for the advice. I will try these out and will hopefully be able to report back a success story.
Many thanks DTLarca, mad fridgie and sedgie. Much appreciated.

DCoker
14-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Try putting larger start components on the compressor they will have a heftier thermal protection which shouldn't trip. Or even more low tech put a small fan on the compressor.

wambat
12-02-2011, 10:51 PM
115V 60Hz induction motors: May experience excessive heat buildup if run at 50Hz. Will operate at fewer revolutions per minute. When a 60Hz induction motor is operated at 50Hz the motor will run at 5/6ths of its RPM's at 60Hz.
The heat buildup may cause failure of the motor. To avoid heat buildup in induction motors ensure the voltage-to-frequency ratio is preserved. This means that a 115V 60Hz induction motor should see 96V to maintain the voltage-to-frequency ratio at 50Hz. Hammond make a 115V->95V 2000W step down autotransformer For Hammond go here : http://www.hammondmfg.com/179.htm

Contactor
22-02-2011, 04:16 PM
somebody has gone to a lot of trouble there ordering in the wrong units, presumably the moron responsible went out of his way to specify the wrong frequency....