PDA

View Full Version : List of tools that are carried in van

OttoDan
15-12-2010, 11:10 PM
hi, I was wondering if anyone has a list of tools equipment neccesary to be carried in a van for self employed / sub-contractors, just so I can get an idea.

I am at college and wont be qualified for another 2 years, but am looking to build up a tool set so I am prepared when I finish my training.

thanks

Mr-Frosty
16-12-2010, 07:16 PM
well a good start would be:
a set of gauges
vac pump
benders
cutters
flaring tool
multimeter
clamp meter
screwdrivers movers etc
rotaloc key
extension lead
comparator
brazing equipment
refrigerant
drills
a selection of breakers contactors overloads and controllers
universal fan motors
probes
swager set
brazing rod

the list goes on

jonjon
16-12-2010, 08:16 PM
glass hammer
long stand
flux capacitor
skirting board ladder;)

glenn1340
16-12-2010, 10:10 PM
glass hammer
long stand
flux capacitor
skirting board ladder;)

a box of holes, brass magnet (I got caught on that one:) ) and the best one when sent to the stores by a fitter....a long weight.

serioulsy though, a must is a Mapp gas gun

Don`t go overboard with buying expensive hand tools ie Snap On, over time you`ll find you`ll leave them on site. I know I have and I kick myself when I think of a spanner costing £30 left in a plant room. The only top notch stuff I get is allen keys and Pozidrive/Phillips screwdrivers.

Good luck for the future.

OttoDan
16-12-2010, 10:41 PM
haha thanks for the list, and some funny jokes. . wish I was a bit younger and hadnt heard them before ;)

what would be a reasonable price to kit a van out to a good standard?

£3,000 ?

Mr-Frosty
16-12-2010, 10:58 PM
i wouldnt go kitting it out with new gear keep your eyes peeled for special offers or 2nd hand things like expanders etc

i would recommend a set of decent snips knipex or similar and also irazola drivers and a decent fluke meter

mikeref
19-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I like to carry items in my shirt pocket as well, its a bugger when bending into a freezer though. 2 pens/pocket knife/240 test pencil/marking pen/ small screwdriver/pt chart/bic lighter/wallet/small note pad(for female phone numbers...kidding..). Have never been able to find a pocket extension ladder or sonic screwdriver.. Mike.

1torr
20-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Couple of things without thinking too long about it is Magnetic Snap On screwdriver(had mine for 12 years now) and a torch

paul_h
20-12-2010, 02:13 PM
well a good start would be:
a set of gauges
vac pump
benders
cutters
flaring tool
multimeter
clamp meter
screwdrivers movers etc
rotaloc key
extension lead
comparator
brazing equipment
refrigerant
drills
a selection of breakers contactors overloads and controllers
universal fan motors
probes
swager set
brazing rod

the list goes onGood idea to add to the list I think:
1/2" socket set
1/4" mini socket set
Silicone!
Hammer!
PVC glue, WD40, silicone lubricant, cork tape, thread tape, duct tape
grinder
rotary tool (dremel)
Megger
Thermometer
masonary drill and core drill
laptop full of manuals
waffle pad
level
drop sheet
wet and dry shop vac (cleaning up plus suction to suck out on blocked drain lines)
dustpan and brush
garden hose, rope, tie down straps, 4ft steps, 6ft steps, 10ft steps 18ft extension ladder.
short odd bits of copper tubing in case you have to braze in a section
capillary tubing for the same reason
Bearing pullers
schreader valve cores, schreader fitting + tails, core removal tool and caps.
deburring tools
flare unions to extend you gauge lines or 72" gauge lines (actually both)
refrigeration oil, driers.
capacitors, fuses, transformers, contactors, relays, soldering iron.

edit: forgot leak detector, expanders, nitrogen + regulator, metal holesaw drills, and half of a hardware store for bolts/screws/rivets/washers/plugs etc

monkey spanners
20-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Some wood blocks and a lenght of 3" x 2".
They are useful for proping things up, drilling into, levering things, etc.

Magoo
21-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Don't forget the tin of tartan paint for touch ups, or hammer glaze and hammer in tin.
OK joke.

Emmett
21-12-2010, 02:45 PM
glass hammer
long stand
flux capacitor
skirting board ladder;)

Dont forget the dilithium crystals for that flux capacitor, in all seriousness, you have the start of a good basic list, overtime you will want , need other items that are not on these lists. Take your time find most of these items second hand if you can.

hyperion
21-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Always buy good quality screwdrivers as there is nothing worse than the pozi driver that goes round.
As others have said, be selective with what you buy dependant on what type of equipment you mainly work on. You will gradually accumulate special tools which get rarely used, but might come in handy.

mikeref
21-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Gets the better of me when tools, and spare parts become invisible. This becomes a daily frustration, i just put that driver down but hey... where has it gone? No-one else around, find another then Bam, its back.:confused:

MikeHolm
12-01-2011, 02:37 AM
In case anyone is still listening, don't forget the spare bucket of steam, the piping stretcher for when you cut twice and it was still too short and of course... the propane powered skil saw.

DTLarca
12-01-2011, 07:10 AM
I find a sky-hook comes in handy when working outdoors with heavy gear.

charlie patt
12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
whatever you have is never enough but the basics have to be a fluke tester 4 line gauges a thermometer a small socket set the rest depends on what you are doing ie domestic/commercial/industrial or put a card in the wholesalers and someone who retires may sell give you some kit

Colin G
15-01-2011, 09:42 AM
If you get everything on this thread, its a truck you will need not a van :D

sfnz
19-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Hammers ........lots of them

Bones
19-01-2011, 10:20 AM
dont forget the sparks for your grinder!

cadwaladr
20-01-2011, 02:10 AM
a good accountant thats cheap

superswill
21-01-2011, 10:26 AM
20 B&H and cheep gin

OK this has turned into a farce now

but one sensible thing never compromise on tools

your tools put a roof over your head and food on the table

buy good quality once and look after them

binti
21-01-2011, 10:44 AM
some of my favorite tools are:
1/2 inch socket set plus a 1/4 or 3/8 set.
half moon file for pipe work etc
Large solid screw driver for bashing and leavering
permanent magnet for solenoid coils.
good allen keys.
Shroader removing tool to remove stem under pressure.

I do a lot of work on compressors and chillers, one of the best things i recently bought is a battery powered rattle gun. I got a makita one with a good drill. this is awesome. I also got with it a battery 4" grinder, circ saw and recip saw. (great but not essential)

monkey spanners
21-01-2011, 08:46 PM
A compressor picker upper for hermetics is very useful, wouldn't be without one now.

sfnz
03-02-2011, 02:24 AM
A compressor picker upper for hermetics is very useful, wouldn't be without one now.
take it you're talking about an apprentice here, tell me , do they graduate from picker upper to tea boy or tea boy to picker upper??

MikeHolm
11-02-2011, 11:25 AM
In Canada it would be coffee boy and he who runs to the truck in a downpour for the forgotten tool.

monkey spanners
14-02-2011, 09:27 PM
take it you're talking about an apprentice here, tell me , do they graduate from picker upper to tea boy or tea boy to picker upper??

Heres a short vid of me only just managing to pick up a 5hp L'unite with my picker upperer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoBCOjIlVx8

Note the tidy van....:rolleyes:

Jon :D

bitburger
15-02-2011, 11:30 AM
laser thermometer is v. handy for checking if a rooftop unit is actually working from inside store, without having to access roof or scissor lift. I'm talking about the real high ceilinged stores.
my cant do without tool is a fluke voltage tester (pen type). Never leave home without it, saves a lot of time and helps prevent the old electrocution there.

Fri3Oil System
15-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Don't forget a FriOil System! :D

Seriously, it is compulsory to have a recovery unit, maybe not in the van, but to own it at least. (and put it in the van in case of inspection, ;)
I think that was missing... I guess you were waiting for my post :D

Regards,

Nando.

xamtex
09-05-2011, 03:41 AM
http://www.david.zen.co.uk/toolstore/Online_Catalogue_Consumables_3.html