PDA

View Full Version : Samsung A-C fault, was it the megger..?

K_D
15-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi all,

A little help if you will. To cut a long story short, I have a Samsung A-C in the back room. After an extension and new mains board fitted, the elecrician meggered all the circuits, the fuse spur for the A-C was still on when he did this (despite me asking him to turn it off) The A-C was working fine before we switched the electric off to the room at the start of the extension, power was off for approx 7 weeks. Once we regained power to the room I fired the remote at the unit but no...den den den sound (if you've a samsung hopefully you'll know what i mean there!) The internal unit will work, to a fashion, well, just the fan really and lcd display. No life from the condensing unit. I've had a quick check and there is feed to the 20 A relay on the board, but no feed back out.......

Could meggering the system at 240 Volt have caused any damage to the system or possibly, is just coincidence?

Any thoughts welcome..

Brian_UK
15-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Could have done yes.

Never Megger electronics.

chilliwilly
15-12-2010, 10:18 PM
There's a strong possibillity that could be the case. The electrician should have switched off the spur as the fused connected side doesn't officially make up part of the final circuits. Do you know if the electrician carried out an insulation test between all the poles, or just the live and neutral poles to earth?

Check on the electrical certificate test schedule and see what test results are recorded.

K_D
15-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've yet to see the test schedule, so i'll check that once he sends it through to the builder. I uess if he has carried out an insulation test between all the poles, then therein lies the cause of my problem.

I don't really like to 'diss' people but, he was really bad! one example, and there are a few...I specked everything in the extension for efficiency, dimmable LED spots, overboard on roof and floor insulation all appliances A rated, new samsung invertor ( I have 2, luckily this one was switched off...) Anyway, on a brief trip home to check progress, I found he had core-drilled through over 6inch of kingspan to fit the spotlights, all the way through so you could see the roof membrane....Luckily, he had only put me in 6 new 'skylights' at the time i arrived home, there was to be 30 spots in total!

chilliwilly
15-12-2010, 11:54 PM
:off topic:
Unfortunately the insulation has to be removed from contact with the downlighters as a fire precaution, especially at the top so the heat can escape and prevent premature failure of the lamp. Did the electrician use coolbeam diochrillic lamps or standard diochrillic? And is the ceiling a fire rated one with the risk of fire spreading to a floor above. If so they need to be fire rated or fire hooded.

K_D
16-12-2010, 12:06 AM
The spots are all LED, so to the best of my knowledge there is no problem with heat. The ceiling isn't fire-rated as it is a single story pitched roof extension, so no need for fire hoods.

Sydneyman
20-12-2010, 03:27 AM
I think the megger have 600Volt min it cn kill all extra low voltage logic, include LSI, the things is change the power board now, and hopfully only the power board have demage.