PDA

View Full Version : TK Voltage Regulator

forestcat
15-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Good Morning, I need to replace alternator's voltage regulator on TK SB-190 unit. TK dealer quoted $173 USD, but I think it's a bit too much. Maybe it possible to find through BOSCH if I new reference number. I saw some on ebay for $60-$80 , but don't know which one I need. Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

cadwaladr
15-12-2010, 07:07 PM
can you post a picture,is the regulator a remote item or is it incorperated in the alternator,take it to a local auto electrical supplier.

forestcat
15-12-2010, 07:23 PM
can you post a picture,is the regulator a remote item or is it incorperated in the alternator,take it to a local auto electrical supplier.
thanks for the reply. the regulator attached to the alternator with two screws. it's bad , because one screw was missing which led to one of the brushes completely wear out. basically it a regulator-brushes as a one unit. I don't have means to post picture right now, but if need to will definitely do it tomorrow.

cadwaladr
15-12-2010, 08:58 PM
thanks for the reply. the regulator attached to the alternator with two screws. it's bad , because one screw was missing which led to one of the brushes completely wear out. basically it a regulator-brushes as a one unit. I don't have means to post picture right now, but if need to will definitely do it tomorrow.sounds like an australion bosch my self i would buy a complete new alternator,prestolite do a replacement i think.will try to look up the number

cadwaladr
15-12-2010, 09:16 PM
just sent you a private message

Robert Hilton
15-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Indeed it should be an Ozzie Bosch. Take it to your nearest repair shop. They should be able to find the parts for far less.

abbsnowman
16-12-2010, 03:31 AM
Try a rebuild shop like he said. Ours are number IB392 can't remember the manufacture. They may know.

gravy258
16-12-2010, 06:51 AM
the bosch number is RE60

they are very common brushes

should cost about US$25

don't pay any attention to the get a new alternator crowd, these are very sturdy alternators. The slip rings wear out too fast in Prestolites.

forestcat
16-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Thank you very much for help!

abbsnowman
16-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I agree with Gravy but do make sure you inspect the slip rings because maybe the brushes have been changed a few times already. If the rings are good, go ahead.

bellg
17-12-2010, 04:55 PM
If you are handy with a soldering iron, (and the slip rings are not grooved) you will get away with soldering in a set of brushes.
Tk part no. 44-9714 and they are not too expensive.
As gravy258 mentioned those are a very reliable alternator otherwise.

forestcat
21-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Thank you very much for a great help. Today I followed your advice and looked into slip rings. They are grooved , so I will have to replace the alternator. It's Australian Bosch, but I can't find part number for it. Maybe somebody will know?

gravy258
21-12-2010, 10:00 AM
i've never seen a Bosch alternator with grooved slip rings. replacement of these alternators is usually from bearing noise, or no output.

If you think it needs replacing, take it off, take it to a auto electrician and get them to get you one.

Thermo King will want to sell you there latest alternator which is made exclusively for them.

abbsnowman
21-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I have been told that TK will be changing again to an alternator made in India.

forestcat
22-12-2010, 12:42 AM
I think I found what I need! Thank you guys for a great help.