PDA

View Full Version : Ice maker stamped evaporator design considerations and suggestions.

slopecarver
13-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I've given myself quite a design problem for my senior engineering design class. I work for an Ice Machine manufacturer (smaller commercial size) who is sponsoring me for the project, currently we have 1/2" tubing coiled into a serpentine and soldered onto a flat plate, the ice cube grid is on the other side of the plate. The project is to design a stamped evaporator plate and attach it to the flat plate, one of my main questions is: is there an optimum tubing diameter and length for heat transfer?

Since we will be using a stamped plate the tubing will have a hydraulic diameter, a function of perimeter and area. What if flow were parallel (using a distributor), say 2 tubes from a distributor? Would the individual tubes be half the length of one long tube or would the heat transfer be calculated similar to a parallel resistance network?

If anyone has any general suggestions of specific suggestions related to a stamped evaporator plate I would appreciate it.