PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Magnetic Contactor

jaceace
13-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

Just been to a job today where an electrician had been called out to find out why the house kept tripping out the main power breaker. Anyway he traced the problem to the Aircon unit. Instead of turning the breaker off to the unit. He cleaned out the dead rats inside the outdoor and tried to turn it on. It tripped the house again . So I was called to the house??

So I am told that a dead rat was laying across the magnetic contactor?? So after re wiring all the breakers and switches that the sparky disconnected I managed to turn the unit on....... BANG blue sparks fly from the magnetic contactor house trips :eek:.

Unit is a Daikin RY160LUY1 and I was wondering if anyone would know if any other damage could have been done prior to me turning it on? Before I turned it on I did notice some over heated cables. Just wondering if the rat could have burnt out the compressor at all. Its obvious the contactor is fried so I have a new one on order. Any other parts I should have ordered? Thanks for reading my long post.

croc1774
13-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Dont you just love rats..
Had this happen a few years back and the rats had chewed through cables etc etc.
You will need to check all wires to make sure they are ok.A little giveaway sign is if yhere are any dead one hanging from cables:rolleyes:
Oh and put your gloves on and try and cover the holes were there getting in..
Regards

gammon
13-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I would check all wiring pal. Mains, comms and thermistors those pissing rats will chew few anything.

Definatley check all your mains wiring to earth before you switch the unit on again.

Good luck

jaceace
13-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Dont you just love rats..
Had this happen a few years back and the rats had chewed through cables etc etc.
You will need to check all wires to make sure they are ok.A little giveaway sign is if yhere are any dead one hanging from cables:rolleyes:
Oh and put your gloves on and try and cover the holes were there getting in..
Regards

Hi thanks for your post,

Yeah I was going to buy some mesh and cover the holes, Daikin just called and have sent the contactor. I must say they are a very helpful company and very efficient.

Improver
14-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Jaceace I worked on a daikin vrv recently and found a 3 phase contactor had malfuctioned and caused a dead short this took out the M.C.B protecting the circuit and the fault current damaged/blew a p.c.b on outdoor unit. So I would check all the components on the outdoor unit. Also I would recommend and Insulation resistance test on the supply cables.

jaceace
21-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Hi all, This just seems to be getting worse. I checked all the cables on the outdoor unit before turning it back on after replacing the contactor. I then found the lcd controller did not come on. I went into the roof to find (3) f....ing mice fried in the indoor box. So I have power running to the box. I have 0volts coming out the transformer and no activity on the indoor pcb board. I think all the boards have been fried and will need replacing along with the transformer. I can not believe 5 mice total stuffed this guys aircon.