PDA

View Full Version : Covering Altherma Outdoor Unit

rebellad
13-12-2010, 09:03 AM
During the past couple of weeks with the serious cold snap the amount of ice on my outdoor unit has increased considerably. This is causing the unit to spend a good bit of time in the defrosting cycle. I was thinking about putting an insulated structure around it to see would this reduce the amout of ice forming. I know that the ice forming is just a by product of the way the system works but if I could decrease it a bit it might spend less time defrosting, anyone ever tried this or think it is a good/bad idea??

r.bartlett
13-12-2010, 10:58 AM
During the past couple of weeks with the serious cold snap the amount of ice on my outdoor unit has increased considerably. This is causing the unit to spend a good bit of time in the defrosting cycle. I was thinking about putting an insulated structure around it to see would this reduce the amout of ice forming. I know that the ice forming is just a by product of the way the system works but if I could decrease it a bit it might spend less time defrosting, anyone ever tried this or think it is a good/bad idea??

bad idea all round.. DON'T

rebellad
13-12-2010, 11:20 AM
bad idea all round.. DON'T

Thanks, any particular reason why?? I am not considering covering the unit completely it would be like putting a shed around it more than anything else, there would be plenty of room for air circulation - also I was thinking that this would prevent the unit from weathering excessively as well.

Brian_UK
13-12-2010, 07:36 PM
The frost/ice comes from the air passing through the coil.

Putting a structure around it, with adequate ventilation, will not stop the ambient air being drawn through the unit.

If you actually build a shed around the unit to fully enclose it then it will turn into a cold room and generate ice even better.

By all means keep snow off it or from it but do not restrict the airflow through it.