PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant carried in CARS

willies boy
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Now found the loophole they will get you on to move into a van.......................vehicle must be ventilated ,...without putting one o those whirly fans in the car roof ,which on lease vehicle you cant ,were fecked:mad:no-ones picked up on it yet so im acting Harry Daft,but the end is nigh:eek:

Grizzly
12-12-2010, 01:04 PM
So whats wrong with opening a rear window slightly.
Given that you should only be carrying small dumpies in the boot?
Ever compared the fuel economy between a Van and Car?
Grizzly

Quality
12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Ever compared the fuel economy between a Van and Car?
Grizzly

Yes work pay for the van fuel and I pay for my car fuel:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cadwaladr
12-12-2010, 08:54 PM
i will bet there are people driving around in cars/vans who have not told the insurance company what they carry,no ventilation means you run the risk of explosion killing yourself and innocents,not to mention the load shifting if you have a collision my van is ventilated/factory bulkhead and load tested racking system!

cool runings
12-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Now found the loophole they will get you on to move into a van.......................vehicle must be ventilated ,...without putting one o those whirly fans in the car roof ,which on lease vehicle you cant ,were fecked:mad:no-ones picked up on it yet so im acting Harry Daft,but the end is nigh:eek:

Ventilation has been required in vehicles for years and years, this is not new.

The amount of refrigerant does make a differance.

coolrunnings

Grizzly
13-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Wise words cool runnings.
May I question the statement.

The amount of refrigerant does make a difference

The way I have been taught is that it is the size of cylinder that restricts carriage terms?

Can anyone clarify?
Grizzly

croc1774
13-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Could always put it on the roof rack Rolf:o

jockfrost
13-12-2010, 06:27 PM
As long as you are not carrying gases constantly, you are excempt from the regualtions, leave the gases at a central point and pick up when needed, then you can keep the car. :cool:
Remember get to grips with leakage and you wont need to carry gases.:D

Everyone is a winner.:o

bill1983
16-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Check out the CDG act, then follow that with ADR.
ok digested all that? good now contact BOC for advice and everything will be as clear as mud.
I've been trying to unravel those sets of regulations for the last few days, and these are my conclusions so far:
1. ventilation is not required by law unless the amount and type of gas you carry exceeds a certain amount and is transported on more than "a couple of days a month"
2. if vehicle is not ventilated all loading doors need to be marked with lettering 25mm high stating "this vehicle is not ventilated open with caution"
3 depending on the types of substances you carry, all or only some of the loading doors may or may not have to be marked with diamond warning signs indicating the class of substances you carry.
4 all containers of dangerous substances must be stored securely and in their recommended carriage position, ie vertically or horizontally depending on manufacturers sds.
So depending on the type and amount of gasses you MAY carry. realistically, the only regulations you will have to adhere to as a service/instalation engineer are the ones stating the types of warning signs and the number of fire extinguishers you may have to carry.
as long as the bottles are secured and transported in their correct position, and you have the correct signage on the vehicle, the vehicle does not have to be ventilated.
i am hoping to meet with a vosa inspector next week to see if they can offer any other clear guidance and advice.

Grizzly
16-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Actually You don't have to display red or green triangles if the cylinders you are carrying.

Are in sizes of less than 25kgs Each.
Yes each, no restriction on how many.
Daft I know.

But I had a discussion with an ex regional Fire Officer. On a Nuclear Power station about it only last year.
He then newly appointed as station Fire Officer tried to argue with me that I should have the Triangles etc.
I actually won the argument when it was looked into.

Refrigerant mind with other nasties you have to do differently.

The size of the cylinder is very relevant.
Cheers Grizzly

james10
16-12-2010, 06:27 PM
The whirly vents on the roof are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, refrigerants are heavier than air so it will lay on the floor what you should have is an expelair extract fan mounted on the chassis:D

Quality
16-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Actually You don't have to display red or green triangles if the cylinders you are carrying.

Are in sizes of less than 25kgs Each.
Yes each, no restriction on how many.
Daft I know.

I am sure that if the load exceeds 500kg you have to display regardless of the cylinder size, but that is an awful lot of cylinders @ 12.5 kg

I will check tomorrow and post as I know I have a document somewhere

Found it
http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/safusgc.pdf

Grizzly
16-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I am sure that if the load exceeds 500kg you have to display regardless of the cylinder size, but that is an awful lot of cylinders @ 12.5 kg

I will check tomorrow and post as I know I have a document somewhere

Thanks
I hoped someone in the know would get involved.
Grizzly
PS. I can't carry 500kg of refrigerant.

mikeref
17-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks
I hoped someone in the know would get involved.
Grizzly
PS. I can't carry 500kg of refrigerant.
Me neither. I carry total load of 800KG but only about 50 is refrigerant. Takes up space real easy, 134a/22/507/410 and now,coming sooner or later to an Aussie outlet,(Don't hold your breath), R290 and R600a. Maybe dangerous goods licence on the horizon..WHAT?:rolleyes:

Quality
17-12-2010, 06:59 AM
http://www.hse.gov.uk/index.htm

Its in there some where.

I have a document in the office which is specifically relates to refrigerant cylinders I will dig it out and post later on

This should do
http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/safusgc.pdf

willies boy
30-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Ahh so not all doom n gloom yet then:D

lawrence1
30-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Page 6.
Ensure the vehicle is suitable for the purpose.
Would a mini be?

desA
31-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Would a mini be?

Volumetrically challenged? :p