PDA

View Full Version : Water Chiller

croc1774
11-12-2010, 12:19 AM
A client of mine has had a £1m refurb to his 4 storey house.The problem he has is that the plumber has has put the hot and cold water supplys to close together through out the house.The cold water comes out of taps warm! is there a chiller on the market that can cool the mains water ans is small enough to fit inside of premises.
Suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers in advance..

chemi-cool
11-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Adding a chiller will not help. It will cause the heating system to run constantly to heat the cold water.

As you said the problem is the two pipes too close and I can imagine that there is no insulation on the hot water pipes [ very bad practice! :rolleyes:]

The only way to solve the problem permanently is to redo the hot pipes again properly and insulated.

croc1774
11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Cheers Chemi-Cool
That is what i origanally told my builder but he was looking for an alternative as all the pipe work is hidden from basement to 5th floor.
The plumber has made a school boy error and my client has held some of his money back for repairs.
its just that this is an expensive property with expensive fittings etc.
I am guessing that these pipes not being lagged would be sweating up as well and causeing condensation!
I looked at under sink chillers that provide 5L an hour from mains supply for drinking purposes, as you can imagine its not very nice when drinking or brushing teeth.
Regards:rolleyes:

NoNickName
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Take up the pipes and redo the job is also my opinion. Wasting energy for cooling the tap water is an insult. Additionally, tap water has a very high oxygen content (open loop), and you would need a specially devised chiller, corrosion resistant.

frank
11-12-2010, 08:02 PM
If you are serious, have a look at the ZIP range

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/public/products/commercial/chilled-filtered-water.aspx

croc1774
11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Cheers frank

MilosBog
12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Whick kind of pipes are installed? Maybe it could be done

chemi-cool
12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey croc,
The cost of extra chiller, pipes and insulation work, electric cost, electric wiring and controls.

Who will pay for all this?

Sorry but the idea sounds not very smart.

Redo the pipe work, its the best and cheapest way.
It will also do some positive things to your reputation;)

Quality
12-12-2010, 02:49 PM
You could fit a flash cooler like they use for beer in pubs but this is only going to mask the problem not fix it

croc1774
12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi Chemi-Cool,
I do agree with you totally.
It is not a job I installed but that of a plumber.
The problem my builder has is that the property in question had a £1.1 refurbishment and is finished now. He came to me and asked if I could fit a chiller because they now realise the plumber has made some very bad school boy errors, hence why the water runs warm.
I told him last week it was a no as to fitting a chiller as it’s not practical.
The idea I came up with was to swap the hot and cold feeds over on taps, tanks etc so the cold feeds would be on the bottom and not on the top:confused:

croc1774
12-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks Quality i will have a look at that.
Regards

croc1774
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Whick kind of pipes are installed? Maybe it could be done

All the pipe work installed is standard plumbers copper,15mm 22mm etc