PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ANY info on CA type Monitor top

MrTube
10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I'm Looking for ANY info on CA type Monitor top refrigerators.

I have service information on the SO2 type Monitor tops but cannot find ANY information or tools for the CA methyl formate types.

any info would be highly appreciated.

as I mentioned in another thread I am currently in the process of restoring a 1933 and a 1934 CA type. One is a painted cabinet and the other is a porcelain cabinet.

Thanks,

Chris J

MrTube
31-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Wow,

No information? This isn't going well.

wambat
15-02-2011, 07:36 AM
The first refrigerator to see widespread use was the General Electric "Monitor-Top" refrigerator introduced in 1927, so-called because of its resemblance to the gun turret on the ironclad warship USS Monitor of the 1860s. The compressor assembly, which emitted a great deal of heat, was placed above the cabinet, and surrounded with a decorative ring. Over a million units were produced. As the refrigerating medium, these refrigerators used either sulfur dioxide, which is corrosive to the eyes and may cause loss of vision, painful skin burns and lesions, or methyl formate, which is highly flammable, harmful to the eyes, and toxic if inhaled or ingested. Many of these units are still functional today. These cooling systems cannot legally be recharged with the hazardous original refrigerants if they leak or break down.[citation needed][where?]

Go here for more http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=monitor+top+refrigerator&aq=0&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=72b047763eb2c64e